Veo 200 vs. Uwatec Aladin Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnemoneJane

Reaction score
New "guy" here. Seems each LDS has his/her own "brands" and models to tout, and sort-of downplays the "other guys". I've looked at both of these models and have NO idea how to choose.

Seems to me a water temp thermometer would be a good feature. Seems to me a simple time-telling watch would be nice for when the dive master says to be back on board at a certain time. Both of these are on the Veo 200, but NOT available on the Uwatec Aladin Pro. The Veo 200 also has that nifty little red, yellow, green bar graph...but is it just a gimmick?

However, the Aladin Pro has nice big numbers and supposedly a simple interface. But then I hear about the contact-style buttons being unreliable.

And then there's the "conservative" vs. "aggressive" debate. If my husband and I are going to buy two computers, doesn't it make sense to purchase two of the same style (or maybe just the same manufacturer) to be sure we get about the same bottom time (since we're buddies).

To make matters even more complicated, each LDS will make you a good deal on THEIR specific PACKAGE, which means I don't necessarily want to pick the computer from one LDS, and the BC from a different LDS, and a Regulator from a third... So it seems like I've gotta compromise somewhere.

Whew...newbie questions...no hard answers are probably available, but any advice would be more than appreciated. I'm going to purchase a whole new system for myself and my husband, so it's very confusing.

AnemoneJane:
New "guy" here. Seems each LDS has his/her own "brands" and models to tout, and sort-of downplays the "other guys". I've looked at both of these models and have NO idea how to choose.

I have two Aladin Pros, one a '99 version and the other a '96 or '97. No problem with the contact buttons but when you need a battery change it has to go to a dealer. Other than that they work great. I did just buy a Mares for my daughter and it has the big numbers and looks about the same on the display...but the good thing is that you can change the battery yourself. I've never heard of the other brand you're talking about though. Hank

I like my VEO 200, compared to the last DC I owned. It has user changable batteries, doesn't lose it's data when the battery is changed. The bar graph is handy, but a wee bit small. It really does keep all of your information handy for entering it into your log later on, plus I have not found it to be too conservitive, compared to other DC's that others have worn while on the same dive as I and my wife. Hint. if you by an older Oceanic DC you can trade it in on a new one with the factory in San Leandro CA, you get a better price on the new one then.

Thanks for your feedback, both of you. Looks like a vote is 1:1
It is very hard to decide what to buy when you have no real way to judge the usabililty of these things in the store w/ no experience.

Thanks again!

Veo 200 has nice large numbers,relatively easy to understand and use,and the light works well.I don't regret getting mine for a second.You ought to be able to get your LDS down around $300.00.
Good idea to get at least the same brand as your husband.Easy to set for nitrox to.
Tom

Both are good computers and I've have had some experience with both and similar models (Versa Pro and Aladin Air Z Nitrox) and I would say either one you would probably be very happy with HOWEVER in my opinion the VEO 200 is a much easier computer to use. Most people can jump in the water with one and figure it out in a matter of minutes (however you should always read the manual first.) The UWATEC takes a little more time to adjust to in my experience.

I followed my LDS' recommendation and bought the Aladin Pro and have frustrated since. I'm no idiot, but, changing any setting or just navigating around the menus is a nightmare. Took be almost 10 minutes to change my gas setting from 21% to 34%. Actually, I was trying to set it to 33%, but, there is no 33% on the computer. It only allows for 2% increments.

Fortunately, I recently obtained a Vytec. Now I can use the Aladin for what it is truly good at, depth guage and bottom timer.

AnemoneJane:

Seems to me a water temp thermometer would be a good feature. Seems to me a simple time-telling watch would be nice for when the dive master says to be back on board at a certain time. Both of these are on the Veo 200, but NOT available on the Uwatec Aladin Pro. The Veo 200 also has that nifty little red, yellow, green bar graph...but is it just a gimmick?

However, the Aladin Pro has nice big numbers and supposedly a simple interface. But then I hear about the contact-style buttons being unreliable.

And then there's the "conservative" vs. "aggressive" debate. If my husband and I are going to buy two computers, doesn't it make sense to purchase two of the same style (or maybe just the same manufacturer) to be sure we get about the same bottom time (since we're buddies).

To make matters even more complicated, each LDS will make you a good deal on THEIR specific PACKAGE, which means I don't necessarily want to pick the computer from one LDS, and the BC from a different LDS, and a Regulator from a third... So it seems like I've gotta compromise somewhere.

Whew...newbie questions...no hard answers are probably available, but any advice would be more than appreciated. I'm going to purchase a whole new system for myself and my husband, so it's very confusing.

AnemoneJane:
Seems to me a simple time-telling watch would be nice for when the dive master says to be back on board at a certain time. ...... The Veo 200 also has that nifty little red, yellow, green bar graph...but is it just a gimmick?

And then there's the "conservative" vs. "aggressive" debate. .
The real time and date is also makes it easier to just jot down some general notes while on the boat, and then fill out your logbook later. The date/time info helps to sort out which dive is which when entering depth/time/SI/N2 loading info.

The Veo bargraph is most definitely NOT just a gimmick. I pay much more attention to the bargraph than to the no-stop time remaining. There are other computers out there that have bargraphs, but they are just graphical representations of the NDL time. No matter how heavily loaded you are, if you come back up to 15' with those computers, the bargraph will immediately go back well into the green.
OTOH, the VEO bargraph is much more like the pressure groups of a table-- except that rather than just tracking one time constant compartment like tables, it displays the loading in the most heavily loaded compartment, whether it's the fast, slow or any of the intermediate ones.
As you do your ascent and safety stop, the bargraph will only very slowly start backing off, since it reflects the caclulated N2 loading in your compartments.

Agressive vs. conservative: I haven't looked specifically at the Veo 200, but if it is like others by the same manufacturer, it uses, without any additional fudge factors, the same model and parameters that are behind the PADI dive table. This is more agressive than most other dive computers.
The bargraph, however, gives you an easy way to consistently and rationally add safety factors --- just simply pick the maximum point on the bargraph that you choose to treat as the no stop limit.

Thanks much to all who posted.

We ended up ordering the Oceanic, but the LDS owner upgraded us to the WIRELESS, air-integrated wrist model (maybe called the PRO?) for only a couple hundred bucks extra. He had one he had personally "demo'd" last week with only 18 dives on it, and a second new one he's going to let us have in our double package. He also threw in a couple of "pony gauges".

I think we did OK, pricewise, and I'm sure I'll be happier with the Oceanic vs. the Uwatec.

Your help was invaluable!

brianwl:
I followed my LDS' recommendation and bought the Aladin Pro and have frustrated since. I'm no idiot, but, changing any setting or just navigating around the menus is a nightmare. Took be almost 10 minutes to change my gas setting from 21% to 34%. Actually, I was trying to set it to 33%, but, there is no 33% on the computer. It only allows for 2% increments.
Um...RTFM:sigh: as we say in the computer biz, and I mean front to back. If it took you that long, you were just playing with the contacts. there's a chart in the beginning of the book that details how to navigate from screen to screen. there's only really one setting to change (o2 %). the dive plan mode lets you scroll through depth's/ndl's, and select longer bottom times. it then calculates your first stop and total ascent time (but it's just a planer). Once the dive starts, the display is very informative and the algorithm seems reasonably robust, particularly for repetitive diving.

Back
Top Bottom