Veracruz - where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho

Reaction score

Im planning a short weekend trip to Veracruz, will be heading out this Friday after work. Ive been there only once so Im sure there are plenty of Sites to dive that I havent covered. I would be interested in checking out some wrecks, but would welcome any other recommendations you would have.

Also, while I have a dive shop that Ive used before, if you know any places you can recommend I would be happy to try them out. Thanks!!

Gaucho,
Probably too late for this trip but there are quite a few good opportunities to dive in Veracruz.
Lots of wrecks and of course coral reefs.
There is a good size national park (marine) and next week they are going to sink an old navy ship for an artifical reef project.
I live here and dive every week. The best shop in Veracruz hands down is Scubaver. Their number is 011 52-29 32-39-94.
Other dive trips can also be arranged. E-mail me if you need additional info.

Regards,
Frank
fjltech@infosel.net.mx

Thanks Frank. I thought the sinking was postponed (again) due to political infighting. Has this been resolved?

Also, which are the main wrecks (names) and at what depths are these located. Im still OW and working on my Advanced & Nitrox certificacion.

Gaucho,
The sinking has been scheduled for this thursday (26-07).
The name of the ship is C-50 - Riva Palacio. It's about 150' long (A guess) I have some digital pictures if someone can help me figure out how to post them.
Our LDS has a dive trip scheduled. We are going diving and during the surface interval, watch the sinking of the ship.

Some of the more interesting wrecks here are:

Hidalgo: A passenger ship which sank in 1912. Apparently there were several lives lost. The wreck is in about 100' of water. I have dove it a few times and the visibility has always been terrible. In addition it is very close to the shipping lanes.

Anna Helena: This is a small freighter which sank some time in the 40's. It is in 35-40' of water protected all around by coral reefs. The top of the wreck is about 12' from the surgqace. You need a small boat to get to it. It is an excellent family spot. Last week my wife and I went with a couple of other divers and we all took the kids. While we were diving the kids snorkeled. We had a great time.

El Reilero: This is a freighter which ran into a reef and sank. The bow is at about 30-40' and the stern at over 100'. I do not know what year it sank.

G-24 (Metralletas) A Mexican Navy patrol boat. In 90-100' of water. An easy one to dive to as it is marked with a buoy. Just follow the chain down and your there. One of the neat things about this one is there are still machine guns mounted on the deck. They're pretty much covered in coral but distinguishable.

There are countless other wrecks here. (And if you listen to a few people here they are all loaded with treasure. :wink:
Just the other day someone was telling me about a ship which went down loaded with brand new Ford Model T's.
Regards and safe diving,
Frank

E-mail me your address and I'll send some photos of the Riva Palacio (C-50).

Hi All,
Just got back from the sinking.
It was a huge sucess.
(I got to dive down with one of the LDS owners and attach the buoy!!!).
The ships deck ended up at about 65'.
This is goung to be a great dive site. There will be something for everyone. The top of the wreck is in about 50' so beginners can dive it. There is also several penetration points. It looks like easy access to most parts.

Bye for now and safe diving,
Vettster

Back
Top Bottom