Verona Diver Dies in Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very very sad. So sorry to family and friends.

seems like he had trouble breathing. How exactly does that happen to someone who seems like he had 50 dives already under his belt...strange. Perhaps a medical condition?

seems like he had trouble breathing. How exactly does that happen to someone who seems like he had 50 dives already under his belt...strange. Perhaps a medical condition?

Number of dives means nothing when it comes to ability to breathe underwater. Equipment and heath issues can play a big part though. I can only assume that this man and his buddy were in communication and that is how the investigators know he was having difficulties breathing? Or did he surface alive and succomb after?

By the time a rescue boat found him and returned to harbor, he was pronounced dead.

I wonder if the above is to be interpereted as saying the diver got separated from his buddy.

Unfortunately, there is only enough information to lead to more questions.

Sad to hear and condolences to his family and friends.

A very sad and tragic event. My prayers and sympathies are with the family and friends and other divers who were with him. Only time will tell what exactly happened and what we can all learn from it to prevent such events from happening (to the best of our abilities).

Give the locations and depth this incident likely took place on the wreck of the Car Ferry Milwaukee. Given the depth and the fact that the temperature can be extreme it is a pretty advanced dive for someone with only 50 dives.

I read in another article the dive was 50 ears old. Age and physical condition are always a concern for those of us over 50 who dive Lake Michigan. In a wetsuit this can be a very taxing dive. Even in July the temperatures can range from low 40s to 60s. The warmer it is the worst the visibility.

The other article also mentioned the dive charter. It is a safe and well run operation. The only problem is the boat is very slow which may be why a "rescue boat" was involved.

Give the locations and depth this incident likely took place on the wreck of the Car Ferry Milwaukee. Given the depth and the fact that the temperature can be extreme it is a pretty advanced dive for someone with only 50 dives.

I read in another article the dive was 50 ears old. Age and physical condition are always a concern for those of us over 50 who dive Lake Michigan. In a wetsuit this can be a very taxing dive. Even in July the temperatures can range from low 40s to 60s. The warmer it is the worst the visibility.

The other article also mentioned the dive charter. It is a safe and well run operation. The only problem is the boat is very slow which may be why a "rescue boat" was involved.

I wanted to take the opportunity to provide some accurate information, since the aforementioned has some discrepancies. The diver was 41 years old and they were diving the Northerner shipwreck. However, I am not aware of his prior diving history and profile (i.e., was this his first shipwreck dive trip, etc). There are many speculations and factors that could have come into play (one article speaks of potential entanglement, equipment malfunction, nitrogen narcosis, CO2 toxicity, diver physiology, etc). Autopsy reports have been released and a heart attack was not the case here - their conclusion was drowning, which I believe is the prominent reason given for most diving fatalities. Only time will tell. In the mean time, here are the three most recent articles I am aware of.

Journal Sentinel - Milwaukee | CDNN report | Ozaukee Press

Back
Top Bottom