Vertical Blue 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Everyone

If you did not know, Suunto Vertical Blue at Dean's Blue Hole Bahamas, is underway. with already 1 World Record destroyed.

The worlds top freedivers are here, in competition, Guillaume Nery, Alexey Molchanov, William Trubridge, all record holders and the top male freedivers in the world are here.
There is a free audio feed starting every morning at 9 am

Suunto Vertical Blue 2012 Broadcast Site - Audio Sports Online

Congrats Ashley Futral Chapman at her WR of 67 M CNF yesterday

http://www.facebook.com/verticalblue

Two World record attempts today at 11:10 am
Molchanov and Trubridge both go for 126 M on CWT ( constant weight with fins). If they both make it, they will share record.

William Trubridge has already captured 2 of the three events this year

Suunto Vertical Blue 2012 Broadcast Site - Audio Sports Online

---------- Post added November 25th, 2012 at 08:50 AM ----------

Congrats Alexy Molchanov of Russia for his WR 126 M, CWT ( with fins) yesterday at Suunto Vertical BLue

Alexey Molchanov of Russia sets new World Record in Constant Weight 126m - YouTube

[video]Congrats Alexy Molchanov of Russia for his WR 126 M, CWT ( with fins) yesterday at Suunto Vertical BLue  Alexey Molchanov of Russia sets new World Record in Constant Weight 126m - YouTube[/video]

Great comp I think there was 65 national records broken and 2 world records. Alexey Molchanov is an animal, he dove to 129m but did not grab a tag leading to disqualifying dive. To his defense the tags were black. Nery set a national record for france with a super smooth dive as did Will for NZ with 121 m cwf.

I thought it was an awesome two weeks... A premier event.. I am hoping they can find a way to televise it, or at least the dives.. I realize teh down time in bteween not that exciting, but would be awesome to watch online.

Will is the best, above and beyond everyone else by so much.. It reminds me of Tiger Woods with golf 10 years ago. Nery And Molchanov, are really good too, but Will is just A step above. Molchanov diving without anything on his eyes was nuts too. I can't imagine..

All the dives are on youtube. Not sure why you say Will is the Best, yes he is the most advertised. But there are more amazing freedivers who did not dive in the Suunto VB comp.

For instance Martin Stepanek freediver of the year in 2009 first man to dive over 400ft. and 13 time world record holder. Martin who I have trained with personally, runs FII and has never blacked out and is the only freediver who still wears a mask hitting these depths. Remember as you dive you have to exhale air into the mask to equalize and also equalize your ears. I think Martin still has a lot in his bag of tricks.

Alexey does not dive with a mask because he does not want to equalize it and believe he does not equalize VTO, neither does Will because he wears fluid goggles.

Can't forget Herbert Niche deepest man in the world.

Yes Alexey however is killing WR right now. I cannot wait until Martin announces another WR attempt. Oh and Martin usually breaks 3 WR in a row like he did in 2009.

Never heard of Martin.. Freediving is not all that important or noticed in the cold water where I dive. As I become more and more obsessed with it.. I am starting to find out about more and more divers..> So I can only go by what I see. I have my first 100 ft dive coming this season.. Will be wearing a 7mm, as teh water never gets above 58

...The coverage of this last VB was great, but I did not care much for the videos, as it was a little footage at the beginning and a little at the tags.. So much was missed in the. middle.. I realize that it is impossible to have someone waiting at 300 feet for a diver to pass them, but something could have been figured out. I would like to see the whole 3+ mins

Niche is crazy.. I have watched a bunch of his dives...very impressive. you can see the depth on his face..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom