Very Good News From Canon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phacops

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last month I was in Bonaire, and my Canon case flooded. An A640 with a WP-DC8. I sent the camera to Canon, to see if it could be rescued, knowing it was probably dead, half hoping that I would get some credit towards a new camera, at best. I enclosed a letter relating that I took the empty waterproof case on a later dive, and it did not flood, so I thought that I might not have closed it properly. When they received the camera, they called, and insisted that we send them the case so they could examine it, even though I again explained that my thought is that I may have mounted the case on the tray incorrectly, which put pressure on one edge of the case. Today, we received a “refurbished” camera identical to the one that had been ruined, and a brand new waterproof case.

My spouse and I have had other good experiences with Canon. About 2 years ago, the screen on her small Canon (can’t remember the model, but it was 3.2 mp) went bad. The camera was at least 5 years old, but a friend recommended she contact Canon to see if it could be fixed. They said that their “vendor” had sold them faulty chips that caused this problem, and that they would repair the camera for free, no matter how old it was. They emailed her a prepaid mailing label, she sent the camera, and a week later, received a 7.5 mega-pixel replacement camera (in original box with all accessories) that she would have sworn was brand new if it didn’t have a “refurbished” sticker on it. When she called Canon to thank them, Susan mentioned that, although the new camera was a little smaller than the old camera, it still fit in the waterproof case – she just couldn’t use all the buttons because they didn’t all match up. They asked if the waterproof case was bought at the same time as the old camera, and when she told them it was bought as a “package,” they told her to send the old case to them, and they would send a case that fit the new camera (again, they paid the postage). Interestingly, a friend of ours had the same problem with the screen on her Sony camera, and Sony (who, by the way, was the “vendor” of the faulty chip sold to Canon) refused to do anything, and our friend had to throw her camera away.

I am very pleased with Canon's commitment to their customers, however badly we treat their product and with full knowledge of the risk to equipment underwater. With such service as a backup I wish I would have purchased a G9.

That's exactly why I only use Canon cameras! Great product and great service!

Great story, thanks. It's good to know that some companies still understand the value of customer service. Go Canon.

Wish I had know this when I bought my Sony! No problems, but it's nice to know there's a company out there like that.

Love to hear this about a company I am very fond of!

They only offered me a refurbished camera at over $100 that wouldn't work with my case. I guess you write better letters or caught someone on a good day. Was cheaper for me to just buy a used replacement on Ebay and call it disposable.

Back
Top Bottom