very odd question for the forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it were me I'd stick with the local diving and keep the computer. You won't find a nice computer like that for 100 bucks again.

The Oceanic Pro plus retails at about $800 (ish) first hand. If you got it for $100 that's a great deal.

The cost-benefit of re-selling the computer is going to depend on several things - and mostly, this will be the extent of your disability. Let's be honest about this. If you are disabled but can dive in a regular dive team without the need for assistance then you can use the computer just like any able-bodied diver - in which case, keep it.

If, on the other hand, you are more severely disabled and must dive with a "helper", or maybe two, then there may be a premium added to your dives for the extra care. If you need two divers to look after you, both of whom should be wearing a computer, then the need for you to have one is minimal. If this is the case, and you don't need to rely on a computer, then yes, potentially you can sell it again and use the money to get a few extra dives - but it will only work out at a *few* extra dives, given how much they cost these days.

So - if you need it, keep it, if you're reliant on other people, maybe see if you can get a few extra bucks re-selling it. The buyer doesn't have to know you got it at a super discounted price.

And it's not an odd question, by the way.

Cheers

C.

At that price, I'd keep it.

You can easily do dives where the NDL is greater than the time your tank will last you (shallower than 40 feet, basically) on tables forever, because decompression is just not going to be a big issue. But $100 isn't going to make a big difference in being able to afford a dive trip (a lot of places, that's less than a day's lodging or a day on a boat) and knowing how to use your computer when you get to diving where one is handy is worthwhile, I think.

Hi,

Thanks for asking a good question. Nothing odd about it at all. We all run into unique experiences from time to time and want to get some feedback:D

As someone who works with people with disabilities on a regular basis, it is great to see a topic like this approached and so much good feedback offered!

As usual, Crowley offered an excellent cost-benefit analysis for you to consider. If that analysis turns out to be that your disability allows you to dive more independently, a good dive computer is an excellent investment. In that case, I would echo others and say "keep it". The Pro Plus is a great computer and it sounds like you got it at a great price. I think you'll be very happy with that computer for a few years to come. Opportunities to dive will likely pop up.

On the other hand, if your diving is likely to be a more costly investment in terms of money and other resources as indictaed by your particular disability, then it may make some sense to grab a few extra "shekels" if you can.

Good luck and thanks for being a part of the ScubaBoard community!

Mike

thank you all for commenting i belive i will keep it my disability is mostly land based as i have bad knees and as for cost effeciency i will hold on to it but if i did sell it it would be for wayyyyy more then 100.00 but for now i will hang onto it and see if i like it. again thanks for all the feedback.

it means i have big fingers and didnt use spell check and the wild hair was I was offered a brand new unopen proplus 2 for $100.00 so i just had to have it

Thanks for that, and yes, you got a damn good deal.

The computer will allow you to dive more, because square profile tables are overly restrictive for multi-level dives. Diving more means more more fun, more relaxation, the more you will enjoy that computer. Congrats on the great buy.

You've got valid thoughts and all, but wow! At that price, I'm pretty sure I'd hang with the computer and simply dive a bit closer to home for a bit. In the long run, over time, you'll be VERY glad you did.

Keep it.

My dive buddy has that same computer and it's great. I've also got the Oceanic Veo 250 as my primary computer. Oceanic is a great company. And you will never get a great buy on such a fine computer as that. That wasn't some wild hair decision - that was a Gift from Whoever is taking care of you "Up There".

Keep it.

P.S. If you really decide to sell it - PM me. I will talk you into keeping it (I'm serious) - but I hope it won't come to that. If you really like diving and continue you will come to appreciate a nice computer like the one you have. Now, take it out of the box and use it!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom