Very odd Suunto failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was diving on Saturday and about 15 minutes into the dive the alarm on my Suunto D9 started sounding frantically. I looked at it, and my computer was shreiking with alarm that I was racing towards the surface at a high rate. Having taken a moment to verify that I was still stationary at about 65 feet, I returned my attention to the computer. It was very upset saying that I was hovering in only 5 feet of water, and it wanted me to go back below 10 feet for a mandatory stop to compensate for my swift "ascent". However, according to the computer I eventually surfaced anyhow and my surface interval began. This all lasted about a minute, during which time I continued to remain more or less motionless at 65 feet.

Like any responsible diver, once my diver computer failed I decided to plough on with the dive regardless. I assumed the depth sensor had failed and that was why the computer mistakenly had me skyrocketing to the surface.

However, curiously when we got the actual end of the dive and I was ascending, the computer gave me another few bleeps which I associated with ascending too fast. I looked at the screen and the computer was still firmly in "Time" mode, but I am certain that the bleeps must have been an ascent warning (and I cannot imagine what else they might be).

Not really seeking advice - I know I have to do - send it in to a Suunto dealer to get fixed (well hopefully fixed, as I am not in a mood to buy a new one after only 550 dives on it...). But I was curious if anyone had experienced a similar failure with a D9 or other model. And hopefully I will also get lots of reassuring comments that it is a quick and inexpensive repair job...

79 views so far and no comments... uh oh.

I don't have experience with Suunto but recently my 6 year old Uwatec Aladin began alarming and flashing during a drift dive at approximately 45 feet. The depth showed 395 feet and it demanded I go to 161 feet and do a mandatory deco stop. It screamed and hollered throughout the dive and once it turned itself off on the surface, it never came on again. This is not the first computer I have had that lost it's mind but I figure I got my money's worth.

Currently I am diving with my friend's back up computer, a Suunto Gecko while I decide what I want to buy. It's ok but the nitrogen bar doesn't load like my Uwatec. I believe I am actually accumulating more nitrogen than it is showing, and I am monitoring it carefully. When I look at the dive log, I find that it has logged more nitrogen than the bar was showing during the dive. This is a bit concerning to me and I am not sure I want to replace my computer with a Suunto for that reason. Since I don't know many divers using a Gecko, do you have any explanation for me about that?

I hope you are able to get your computer repaired at a reasonable cost.

I've had multiple failures with the depth sensor on the Suunto Cobra. It would think I was at a depth of 200ft at the surface so I sent it back. After a similar problem occurred with the replacement I switched brands, I'll probably never buy a Suunto again. Funny because on Ebay there is almost always a Suunto for sale with a bad depth sensor.

I have a vyper and on the surface it'll say I'm at 297ft. After I get in it works fine, depth and time always match my depth and timer.

I have a D9 and a Vyper Air, the only problem I ever had was I had to re-sync them. Also I had to reset my compass on the D9. Other than that they are great.

Rhone Man,

When did you purchase your D9 and what is the serial #? Also, have you ever had a 2 year 200 dive service (full service) performed on your computer?

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Well the bad news is that I have been told the internal unit failed, and getting it replaced is going to run me about the equivalent of US$400. I debated bailing and just buying a new computer, but I am kind of fond of my old D9 so I will pony up. Such is life.

Back
Top Bottom