Very scary moment at depth - what happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I had my first serious incident underwater yesterday, and it's left me quite shaken, and I'm trying to find out some answers. Maybe some of you can shed some light.

First some background info on me:

Been diving since May 2009, so while I'm relatively new to the sport, my wife and I just took off with it after getting certified, and have racked up ~150 dives since then (a fair bit in 2+ years), a combination of cold water dives in Canada (fresh and saltwater), and and tropical stuff in Carribean/Florida/Hawaii. I'm Rescue Diver and Nitrox certified, have done ~60 dives on Nitrox, and I dive in a drysuit for the colder water of the Great Lakes and North Atlantic. I don't have my Drysuit specialty, but I have 25 dives in it, most of those in excess of 100 feet, frequently in 33-40 degree water. I've never had a problem underwater, even when going deep (though I don't have my Deep specialty). I've always been well aware when narcosis is affecting me more than usual, but I've always been able to control/work through it.

So I was in Newfoundland, Canada, for some diving on some wrecks in the North Atlantic. I had done these wrecks last year with no issues. It's cold water diving, approx. 35 degrees F at depth at this time of year. I was in my Bare D6 Pro Dry suit, diving 28% nitrox, using my Suunto Vyper2 computer.

Two days previously I was also diving the wrecks. The seas were quite rough, and I can be susceptible to seasickness at times, and was feeling it that day. Did the first of my two dives to 90 feet, and I felt the narcosis was hitting me particularly hard. I was feeling seasick, had some stress caused by some equipment issues, but the dive itself was manageable, didn't cut it short, and had no problems. Because of the seasickness, I called off the second dive.

So that brings me to yesterday. Weather was perfect - sunny and flat seas, no too hot out, and no equipment issues to stress me out. Suiting up was no problem, and was feeling fine. I get into the water with my buddy, and start descending to this deep wreck - we'd done this wreck before, and we'd planned on a depth range of 90-120 feet, staying within recreational limits for 28% nitrox. Everything's fine once we get down - my buddy is taking some pictures at about 100 feet, while I'm looking around at the marine life.

After about 5 minutes of this, we move, exploring more of the wreck (just the exterior - no penetration). After about 8 minutes dive time, I descend briefly to 120 feet, and I notice (what I thought was) narcosis hitting me pretty hard, so I ascend to about 100-105 feet. But it isn't getting better.

I've experienced narcosis before, and know the feeling - people constantly describe it as similar to alcohol effects, that simple actions become much more difficult. But this was something else. My vision started to narrow, and this overwhelming feeling came over me, that I just couldn't stay down any longer. I don't know how else to describe it. This feeling gradually set on over the course of 2-3 minutes, and as it got worse I just started ascending. All I knew was I couldn't stay down, that I had to get out. I was incredibly scary, that if I stayed down, I was going to die. I had plenty of air and no-deco time (I remember checking down there, I had about 2000psi left (was diving steel 100's), and at 100 feet had about 6 mins no-deco time left). I didn't think to signal my buddy to go up, so I just started ascending - I knew we were a good ways from the mooring line and I that couldn't make it back to it - but there was no current at all and calm seas, so I didn't worry about it.

By the time my buddy noticed I was gone, I was far above her, ascending quickly. I just felt like I had to get out of there, but I wouldn't describe it as full-on panicking. I knew at the time I had do a controlled ascent, so I was constantly looking at my computer and venting air from my BC and drysuit - a couple of time I ascended too fast for my Sunnto computer, but it uses 33 ft/min as too fast, so I wasn't worried to much about that anyways. I knew I was going slower than my bubbles, and mostly within the ascent limits of my computer. A safety stop was out of the question for me at the time, but I would call my ascent controlled. Looking back on my computer history, it says I made the ascent from 105 feet in 4 minutes.

I surfaced about 30 yards from the boat, a little dizzy, but saw it, indicated I was not okay but that I could swim to the boat. Got out of the water, they put me on pure O2. Other than a slight headache which went away after about 5 mins on O2, I didn't feel any other pains. No joint stiffness, no pains, etc. I was shaken to be sure, and extremely worried about what my buddy (my wife) must have thought about what was going on down there. She surfaced shortly after me, after making a controlled ascent, safety stop, to see if I was okay. After about 10 mins after my dive, I felt completely fine, though quite emotional from what happened, and scared. I obviously called off the second dive that day.

So what happened? I was diving a familiar wreck, in water temps I had dived before (not a massive amount of experience, but nothing that created any problems before), with a drysuit I had used several times before, at depths I've dived before, in perfect surface conditions, with no health conditions I'm aware of. I didn't go into deco at depth, I didn't ascend too rapidly at depth, and all my equipment seemed to be working fine. One thing I've never considered that another diver mentioned could have contributed to it was descent speed - from water entry to 100 feet took 2:40 - apparently this is fast, according to the tec divers on the boat. This could be my inexperience taking, but I never knew or considered that descent speed could be a factor.

Here's the data on my dive (some repeated):

Suunto Vyper2 computer
6mm neoprene drysuit
Water temp 37 degrees at depth
Diving 28% nitrox in a Steel 100 tank, starting pressure 3500psi
First dive of the day
Max depth 121 feet
Total dive time 19 mins
2:40 descent to 100 feet
12 mins between 95 and 120 feet
4 minute ascent from 100 feet to surface
End pressure about 1800psi

I was extremely scared down there, and all I could think of was get the hell to the surface, but I was able to self-rescue (I guess), and maintain my senses enough to know to do a controlled ascent, vent air, look at my computer and depth. I'm not sure exactly what to draw from this. I was to be able to dive deep again, and until now I've never had an issue.

Thanks very much for following this rant and any advice you may have.

Sounds like a classic "Dark Narc" to me. Feelings of paranoia and impending doom.

Narcosis is not really predictable. Just because you have done similar dives before doesn't mean it wasn't narcosis.

Glad to hear that you are OK.

Like ianr33, I sometimes feel the beast of fear and apprehension when getting narc'd. For me being narc'd is rarely ever fun in cold, dark waters.

Your symptom of "needing to get the heck out of there" at depth are consistent with being narc'd. However, that should have dissipated with your ascent. Since it did not, I would guess that your adrenaline response to a frightful narc was very strong and you were unable to overcome the urge for flight.

I am not qualified to give you advice. However, if I had had a similar experience to you I would deliberately keep my next five or so dives as fun and light as possible. Keep it shallow and practice some skills with your buddy.

37 degrees is pretty cold for a 6mil suit. Many things can trigger panic feelings so it hard to say what got you.

Glad to hear that you are OK.

Like ianr33, I sometimes feel the beast of fear and apprehension when getting narc'd. For me being narc'd is rarely ever fun in cold, dark waters.

Your symptom of "needing to get the heck out of there" at depth are consistent with being narc'd. However, that should have dissipated with your ascent. Since it did not, I would guess that your adrenaline response to a frightful narc was very strong and you were unable to overcome the urge for flight.

I am not qualified to give you advice. However, if I had had a similar experience to you I would deliberately keep my next five or so dives as fun and light as possible. Keep it shallow and practice some skills with your buddy.

Thanks for the advice. As I was ascending, I didn't really think to stop and reassess - I probably would have if I had been on the mooring line, but I was free ascending on a wreck dive, and even though there was no current, I knew it wasn't a good idea, so all I could think of at the time was getting to the surface and finding the boat.

Definitely good advice on the next few dives, will definitely take it slow.

Someone is goingt to mention it sooner or later so it may as well be me.

The only sure way to get rid of narcosis is having some helium in your tank. 120 is pretty deep in cold water and (I guess) not so good viz. Our local lake is often crappy viz and cold (Texas scale!) at depth. A light trimix feels much better below 130 or so than does air/nitrox.

Just another thought: You might also want to think about getting your air analyzed for CO2. It's possible that you got a bad fill. Too much CO2 could cause the onset of the narrow vision, headache, etc., and could have gotten the panic cycle started.

Last edited:
Also...if your descent was fast swimming, you may have built up some significant Co2 levels in your blood stream...this would take a long time to go away, even if you went up to 40 feet. If you had a headache when you came up, this pretty much guarantees you had high CO2 from workload ont he dive ( heart rate/exertion).
High CO2 makes narc far worse, and could help make it "dark" as well, as high co2 is not a good feeling--and it gets exagerated by narcossis.

I will say, and I don't intend this to be condesending, that you should always have a plan with your buddy, that at any time, for any reason, either of you can call the dive with a thumbs up, and both immediately head to the surface....You were right to ignore the anchor line completely, but you should have had your buddy with you....this also requires both of you to be in the peripherol awareness of each other, at all times throughout the dive, and a nice light, shined past the buddies mask, should also get an instant reaction by them to get eye contact with you..and the thumbs up. This is one reason tech divers like cannister lights and the goodman handles ( the light sits on top of your hand, so you still have full use of your hand) ..but any focus beam light that is bright, can work. Lights mounted on your head are stupid, as you BLIND your buddy any time they attempt eye contact :)

Just another thought: You might also want to think about getting your air analyzed for CO2. It's possible that you got a bad fill. Too much CO2 could cause the onset of the narrow vision, headache, etc., and not having enough O2 will get the panic cycle started.

My thoughts as well, except not CO2, but CO. I'm no doctor, but I believe your symptoms could have been caused by carbon monoxide, even a small amount can cause issues as partial pressure increases your exposure at depth. There are a few threads you can find on CO analyzers (I use the analox EIICO). Also possibly CO2 retention? How was your breathing? A few deep breaths should start to rectify CO2 retenion due to skip or shallow breathing.

Back
Top Bottom