Very scary moment at depth - what happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This story reminds me very powerfully of one of my bad narcosis episodes, when I was first diving. Luckily, it was the second one, so I had a clue about what was going on. We were at about 95 feet, at a site I had dived before, when I became convinced my regulator wasn't delivering enough air. We weren't fighting current or working at all -- I just felt like there was something very wrong. It was my good fortune to have had a bad narcosis episode a couple of weeks earlier, where I had embarrassed myself by dumping all the air out of my suit and wing at 100 feet, because I was convinced I was initiating an uncontrolled ascent. (I splatted into the silt.) So in this case, I kept telling myself it wasn't real, it was just narcosis, and I fought down the urge to do something, ANYTHING to breathe better . . . and the feeling gradually eased.

There is a reason why I rarely hit 100 feet on Nitrox, and never, ever go below it without helium.

It is my understandin that CO contaminated air would not be too much of a problem at depth because the partial pressure of oxyen, over-rides it. The problem is more on ascent when the oxygen pressure drops...so if the air tasted ok and nobody else had a problem, this is not likely.

If the diver was not over exerted and suffering from CO2 issues, then the simple answer is that the narcosis got to him, it initiated a panic attack and he exited the situation ASAP with no regard for his wife/buddy.

Freaked and Bolted...

It is my understandin that CO contaminated air would not be too much of a problem at depth because the partial pressure of oxyen, over-rides it. The problem is more on ascent when the oxygen pressure drops...so if the air tasted ok and nobody else had a problem, this is not likely.

If the diver was not over exerted and suffering from CO2 issues, then the simple answer is that the narcosis got to him, it initiated a panic attack and he exited the situation ASAP with no regard for his wife/buddy.

Freaked and Bolted...

Upsettingly, I am in agreement with DD :confused::D
CO contamination is NOT a frequent problem at major dive shops....it is a rare event...while Narcosis and buildup of CO2 in the blood can be quite common in people diving to 100 or 120, or deeper. For a new diver, "trying" to control their breathing, slightly nervous and uncomfortable, this is indicative of a higher heart rate, and the "controlled breathing" will lead to CO2 buildup. This buildup will make narcosis happen much sooner, and be far more severe.
George Irvine, Bill Mee and I did hundreds of deep air dives in the early to mid nineties, till George came up with a way for us to switch to trimix. Only air was available in those early days... I will not say that anyone can master narcosis..... and management of it, sounds good in a Hal Watts deep air course, but means little to nothing in the real world. Some people are not as effected by narcosis than others, just as some will have one drink at a bar and be blasted, and another could drink 6 shots with little visible effect. We happened to be fairly good at dealing with narc, naturally. Once we learned how helium DRASTICALLY changed the dive, and how much more there was to the experience, we stopped the deep air, cold turkey !

You can decide you want to get hammered in a nightclub, or a cocktail party....that is your choice. I suppose you could decide you want to get hammered/drunk on a deep air dive.... If you do, the experience will NOT be like the experience YOU COULD HAVE HAD if you had done this on trimix. Some of our deep reefs and wrecks in Palm Beach are UNBELIEVABLE...the things you can see blow away National Geographic specials,. Discover TV specials...this is an experience overload that you need EVERY OUNCE of your brain recording, and processing, and experiencing....You don't want to be so hammered that you remember seeing the wreck at 280 feet, and the big amberjack school that covered it like a dense cloudbank, but have no recollection of the dense marine life all over the wreck, you somehow did not see the 16 foot hamerhead shark that visited briefly, then swam on, and one of your buddies told you about the huge shool of tuna that was being balled up by 6 foot long cuberra snappers, and the feeding frenzy that ensued....
I think there needs to be a "Recreational Normoxic Trimaix class" that any competent diver can do, for 100 to 150 foot dives...a 21/35 mix. The training for this is minimal if the diver is already competent. The class does NOT need to be expensive.
The cost of the helium for the trimix willo seem high compared to Nitrox, but you end up with an INTENSE experience, where otherwise it is/was largely, WASTED.

Have you thought about sending DAN your event and computer download? They might have some answers for you and also might like having the stats. Just a thought.

Probably the Screech.

Seriously though this sounds like a classic dark narc probably helped along with a little bit of CO2 retention. Unlike a happy narc they are not always helped by ascending a few feet especially when the anxiety has taken hold. I used to suffer horribly from these and would often experience them in as little as 80 feet in cold water. Some of the things that I did to help the issue were to get a better breathing reg set since mine was old and not very good. Next I made sure that when I had to work hard against a current I would take breaks and ensure that I was breathing deeply to reduce CO2 build up, especially on down lines where I was hanging like a flag. Next I reduced my descent rate as I found this to have some effect although I do not know what the mechanism might be. Anytime I started to feel any anxiety I would stop and breathe deeply before the dark narc could take hold and believe me take hold it can. Not sure which of these were the most effective but the combination worked for me.

Were you diving the Rose Castle by any chance, it is one of my favourite wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom