Very shallow snorkeling in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakubson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a rather strange request. I am trying to find out if there is any decent "standing depth" snorkeling in Belize. My wife is not a good swimmer, but she loves snorkeling. To give you a frame of reference, her favorite spots are Hanuma Bay on Oahu, Kahalu'u Beach Park on the Big Island, Akumal in Mexico, etc.

So, I was wondering if any area of Belize (Ambergris, Caye Caulker, Placencia) might have decent beach snorkeling, or is it all eel grass right off the beach? If we could find a decent place, I would do a week on the Aggressor, and she would then join me for a second week on land.

I will be on the Aggressor the week of May 14 and I am staying an extra day so I would have time to take a water taxi out to one of the islands and check it out if someone has a good suggestion.

Thanks,
Joel

Mexico Rocks -- on Ambergris Cay is a clean, sand bottom, shallow site (3-4' depth). It is a 30-40minute boat ride north from San Pedro (town). My non-diver wife and I went there with Chuck and Robbie's last November and had the entire area pretty much to ourselves. It's not heavily snorkled because it's so far from town. It is within the confines of the barrier reef, so the ride is pretty smooth and there's no current to speak of. My recollection is that one could stand the entire time. Check with these guys (or any of the other well-reviewed operators on Ambergris). It is also snorkleable from shore, but you still have to get there either by boat or by biking for at least an hour along the beach. Chuck & Robbie's - Ambergris Caye Scuba Diving & Instruction

There are actually lots of shallow areas for good snorkelling just off Ambergris Caye. Snorkelling from the beach is generally pretty poor so you'd need a boat virtually anywhere. Any of the decent operators will be able to take you to these places, but you do need to make your needs and your restrictions quite clear to avoid misunderstandings.

When you say she's not a good swimmer, is she afraid of the water or has she just never developed a good technique? I'm partly concerned to know that she would be safe, but also to see whether her deficient swimming could perhaps be improved with some guidance.

Try TBR tranquility Bay Resort on North Ambergris which has very shallow shore snorkeling you can also have your guide take you out close to the reef where you can actually stand up (on the sandy areas) and snorkel in very shallow water.

Gaz Cooper

Many thanks to all who responded. I think I will take a day trip to Ambergris and check out a few places.

Back
Top Bottom