VHS tape to Computer hard drive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
Help me if you can

I want to copy my Dive video onto my computer. I want to be able to watch it on my monitor and have a perminent backup of it stored on my hard drive. I only have the video on VHS.

1. how do i get a VHS onto my hard drive ?

2. Do i need HW, if so what ?

3. Can i do it with the right equipment or is it a job for a pro?

4. Am i wasting my time?

I know someone out there can point me in the right direction

Thankx for any help you can offer

Andy

Originally posted by trymixdiver
1. how do i get a VHS onto my hard drive ?

Do you have a video recorder? If so, you can connect it to your computer using a video grabber (aka a video digitiser or video capture card). The grabber converts the analog signal from the video recorder into digital information that can be recorded on to your hard disk. Bunch of different options -- some are internal cards, others connect externally. Internal cards are usually better, but more hassle to install.

The PC Technology Guide has all the techy details.

2. Do i need HW, if so what ?

See above.

3. Can i do it with the right equipment or is it a job for a pro?

You can do it, if your computer is up to it and you're prepared to buy a grabber. If you're only going to do this once, it might make more sense to find someone who can do it for you -- unless it is a professional video (from a holiday dive, say), in which case they may be unhappy about copying it for you.

4. Am i wasting my time?

Depends what you want to do.

Decent-quality video takes up A LOT of hard-disk space. If you want a back-up copy that is identical to the original, you'd be better off getting someone to duplicate the tape. If you want to make small clips of your favourite bits, and you have a powerful computer, then it's certainly doable -- you just have to decide whether it's worth the effort.

Zept

Thank you for the info

Just one question regarding this "grabber"

Is this grabber you talk about just a video card ? The card i put in my computer is 64mb and has 2 RCA connections and an S-VID connection. Is this what you are refering too?

again, thx for the help

Andy

Its a video i took (my first) of a deep dive in Lake Tahoe, i really want to save this footage even though its average video.

Erm, have a look in your manual. A grabber is not 'just' a video card, but there are video cards that also function as grabbers. That might be what you have.

Zept

"All in Wonder Radeon" AGP video card with 64 Megs of VRam. I can capture just about any media from a humble cable connection to S-Video. I convert most of my movies into MPegs to cut down on the storage requirements. Video files are HUGE when compared to stills!

Back
Top Bottom