Viajero Confiable, Mexico's Global Entry program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
Mexico's equivalent of Global Entry, "Viajero Confiable", is up and running after a year of saying it was "coming in 2013".

At this point, it's a fairly limited program and is only available at Mexico City International Airport, Cancun International Airport and San José del Cabo International Airport. "The possibility of expansion to other cities is under review" according to the website

The program is open to Mexican citizens and to US citizens who are members of the US Global Entry program. Although citizens of Canada, South Korea, and the Netherlands can be Global Entry members, it looks as if they're out of luck for now.

The application process is much like the US one: an online application and payment of a 1,372 peso (roughly $100 US) non-refundable application fee followed by an in-person interview at one of the 3 airports listed above. If accepted, membership is good for 5 years. One difference from the US program is that no useless card is provided. Another is that they take iris scans in addition to fingerprints. A big difference is that there doesn't appear to be a review between completing the application and scheduling the appointment, which can all be done in a single brief session on the computer. Maybe they're using Global Entry to do their screening work for them.

You have to have a passport with 6 months left on it at the time of the interview, and the interview must be scheduled at least 2 weeks after completion of the application (so maybe they do some review during that time). You can reschedule interviews if your travel plans change or you miss it for some other reason. I am able to access the scheduling module at the application website on my iPhone, but I have not actually tried to reschedule my interview. I might need to, since it's about half an hour after my flight lands and the next one isn't until 3 1/2 hours later.

I don't yet know if kiosks are actually available in the airports at this time. I'll find out in a few weeks when I'm in Cancun for my enrollment interview. For Global Entry, members are entitled to skip to the front of the line if kiosks are unavailable. I doubt that applies in Mexico, but I harbor the secret hope that it might eventually do some good when arriving at Cozumel's airport (where my wife can use the teensy line for Mexican citizens and residents but I have to use the long one for non-residents).

This program is definitely not for you if:

You're not a US or Mexican citizen​
If you're a US citizen who doesn't have Global Entry membership​
You never fly into one of the 3 airports currently in the program​
You don't want to spend a hundred bucks to get through immigration and customs faster and with no paperwork​
You fear you might not pass whatever screening they do (Mexican arrest record?)​

If it is ever an option in Cozumel, I will certainly sign up.

Last week, I returned from Cozumel to Houston. In 40 minutes, I deplaned, collected my checked bag, cleared immigration/customs and boarded the shuttle to my car. In other words, I'm a big fan of Global Entry.

Last week in Atlanta I walked around about 400 passengers waiting in line and was in the club 20 minutes after deplaning. Worth $100 any day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Love, love, love Global Entry! It's worth every single penny spent. When we went through Houston in November on our way back from Coz on Thanksgiving weekend (100's of people in the regular immigration/customs line), we were through immigration/customs and collected and rechecked our bags---all within about 15 minutes. Also, if you have GE you are also a Trusted Traveler. This means that you can get in a "special" TSA security line at the airport where you don't have to take off your shoes or take your computer out of your bag. Just make sure your TT# (which is different from your GE# but it's on the back of your GE card) is printed on your boarding pass.

For Global Entry, members are entitled to skip to the front of the line if kiosks are unavailable.
Hmmmm. I thought the point was to avoid unnecessary screening when it is proven that here is no need to. Paying $100 just to get ahead of everyone else in line to go through the same screening (and only US citizens need apply) looks like something else entirely.

Hmmmm. I thought the point was to avoid unnecessary screening when it is proven that here is no need to. Paying $100 just to get ahead of everyone else in line to go through the same screening (and only US citizens need apply) looks like something else entirely.

I thought the point was to avoid lines and move fast.

My understanding is GE may randomly subject you to screening but still without the line.

So why waste money on the kiosks? Just let all the GE people who paid their money jump to the head of the line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom