Victim of manatee love

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hullscrubber

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Here's a question I hope someone can answer. We all know the rules concerning divers bothering manatees, but do you do when they won't leave YOU alone? I work as a boat bottom cleaner on the west coat of Fl., and this is an on going problem over here. Today I started cleaning a boat bottom in a local marina with low vis, when a wall of mantee flesh came up from directly beneath me(fortunely no one can hear you scream under water) I then spent the next hour trying to work while a mama seacow and her calf continued to nuzzle and push up against me... anyone else get molested like this?

But Krista, that was YOU! Hell, you bring out the amour in a sea turtle...

It's still too painful to talk about...

Attachments

• IMGP0056.jpg
    IMGP0056.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT0058.jpg
    PICT0058.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 61
  • PC010090.jpg
    PC010090.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 55
molesting means you chase the manatees and bother them

if they come to you, it's ok

i've been snorkeling with manatees tons of times; it's a lot of fun when they show up and want to hang out with you

i had an amorous remora decide i was the sexiest thing since Hugh Jackman

alas ... it was not meant to be

This is the way I interput the law as well. If they come to you it is their choice. IF you are chasing them that is another thing.

Here is an old pic of a diver not touching a manatee in a state park.

Last edited:
Here's a question I hope someone can answer. We all know the rules concerning divers bothering manatees, but do you do when they won't leave YOU alone? I work as a boat bottom cleaner on the west coat of Fl., and this is an on going problem over here. Today I started cleaning a boat bottom in a local marina with low vis, when a wall of mantee flesh came up from directly beneath me(fortunely no one can hear you scream under water) I then spent the next hour trying to work while a mama seacow and her calf continued to nuzzle and push up against me... anyone else get molested like this?

Did you check to see whether they could hold a brush? :D

As long as you're not doing anything that obviously malicious or intentionally blocking their path, you should be fine. Here are some tips from the FWC site.

They are very curious about divers... I found that out the other day diving in Blue Spring.

Ken

Ah...I've been on the road a lot lately..... Can you tell me where this mama hangs out?:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom