Victory in Alabama! (part 2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This just in from Steve Phillips (part 2 of 2) (Continued from Part 1)
---
You can read the new regulations on our web page. The old wording that is being removed is lined through. The words that are added are underlined. Here is a link to the new regulations.

http://www.ssdsupply.com/aucraP/New%...%202_15_06.pdf

Ms. Elizabeth Brown's letter from the AHC can be read here. http://www.ssdsupply.com/aucraP/Thur...%20%202006.pdf

I suggest that all divers print out a copy of the new regulations and a copy of Ms. Brown's letter. Carry these with you when diving to inform any misinformed individuals or law enforcement officers who are confused about our diving laws and regulations.

I think now that we should think about deserving these diving freedoms in our state. Let's make sure that we record where we find relics and artifacts. This is so easy now with GPS. I'm not saying to give away your favorite locations to anybody. Someday you will be leaving the ranks of the living and you will want your relics and artifacts to be put in a museum or cherished by your family. Good records of locations found are important. I feel that we divers and collectors should do all the volunteer work that we can, such as:

1) Go to schools, historical meetings, scout meetings and shows to show your relics and artifacts and to teach about history.

2) Learn to properly preserve and display your relics and artifacts. The internet is a great source of information on preservation and we will help anyone who needs advice.

3) Lend, don't give your relics and artifacts to local museums, schools and libraries. The reason that I say don't give is that museums will sell things to raise money. If you don't care if they sell your donations then go ahead and give them. I have bought at least half of my Civil War collection and I bought most of it from State Museums. I intend to lend all of my collection to state museums, but I won't allow them to sell my things. If the museum closed down I want to be able to move my things to another museum. I also intend on having some say about how my relics are displayed.

4) Let authors of books use your collections for their publications. Make sure that all authors and museums list your name as the person who provided the item. We have been anonymous for too long. People need to know that we are relic hunters, divers and arrowhead collectors. They also need to know that we are the people who fill the museums with relics. We write or help write most if not all of the reference books used by museums, collectors and historians when studying relics and artifacts. We are the only people who can effectively save underwater relics. We pay our own expenses and work for nothing. We amateurs have made most of the large and small discoveries of relics and artifacts that have been found thus far. We will be the people who add to the known history of Alabama.

Once again I want to thank all the people who have helped gain back our freedoms. Especially I thank the non-divers who have helped us so much. We will try to deserve the help that you have given us. Over the last few years there have been two statements at public meetings that I will always remember and that I quote for you now.

Archie Phillips said: "The academic professionals seem to think that they have a monopoly on brains."

Senator Biddle said: " A relic ain't nothing until somebody pulls it out of the mud."

Sincerely,
Steve Phillips
Save Our Lost History
Southern Skin Divers Supply
4515 5th Ave. South
Birmingham, AL. 35222
205-595-3052

www.ssdsupply.com

Please post this email to all web pages, forums and send to interested parties

Alright.....way to go.....guess I can go back to seeing what I can find in the Tenn.River....
Yarg

This is nice to hear Rick. I am all for preserving the past but many of the laws have gone way overboard.

mike_s:
So how does the change in the law affect his arrest and conviction?
Don't know, but the state would be hard pressed not to pardon what is no longer a crime.
Rick

Actually I look for them to declare the dump at Selma a "Trove" in the near future. All divers in Alabama should write Govenor Riley a thank you note to let him know how much we appreciate his support. We should also remember those representatives and senators who supported us and those who didn't bother to answer our letters at election time.

This whole commotion seems to stem from the folks at Selma who wish to keep their heritage in Selma. We should respect them and offer to share our finds if any good stuff is actually found. I'd say that 90 percent of the stuff that is pulled up is like bottles and nails and horseshoes and bolts and stuff like that. Occasionally a museum piece comes along and I plan to do right by it if I find one.

General Wilson left Selma and headed for West Point, GA. My kin was killed in that battle seven days after Lee signed the surrender. Communication wasn't fast in those days. Now my customers complain of 275 microsecond latency. Sheesh!!

mike_s:
So how does the change in the law affect his arrest and conviction?

The Governor needs to be notified on this matter. He was convicted under a standing law. A change in the law won't overturn his conviction. But the Governor should be able to pardon him, and would be a good PR deal for him as well.

FD

This is a great victory for divers and treasure hunters. Now if we can get this type of reform in the other states as well.

FD

fire_diver:
The Governor needs to be notified on this matter. He was convicted under a standing law. A change in the law won't overturn his conviction. But the Governor should be able to pardon him, and would be a good PR deal for him as well.

FD

Normally a change in the law wouldn't change the state of his conviction, but if he appeals through normal process, the appeals court would most likely overturn the conviction wouldn't they?

Then I doubt the prosectution would continue since the legislature has changed the law.

Just when I had lost some faith in the legislative process, a ray of hope. Let's hope the approach is more widely adopted throughout this great land.

Back
Top Bottom