Video Compression for web

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shroy002

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
For those of you out there posting videos on the web what is your software of choice for compressing these videos, and after compressing them do you embed them in your web page or just provide links for downloading.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Right now I am using final cut pro and quicktime but the file sizes are still a little large for my tastes.

example file (large 33 mb test) for just under 6 minutes:

http://www.tsstest.gen.umn.edu/mediatest.htm

Feedback would be appreciated. In my opinion the quality is decent but going from high quality to next lower level isn't acceptable not even really worth posting that video. Would something like Media Cleaner help in this situation?

Thanks.

Steve

I use the mpg4 compressor and save the video as a quicktime file from Adobe Premiere. Right now, I believe its the best codec for quality vs. file size.

You could use a DIVX codec. I think the same as Mp4 but I could be wrong. Try www.divx.com and this should point you in the right direction. There is a utility that can convert from AVI to DIVX this is called "VirtualDubMod" http://www.divx.com/software/detail.php?id=6 which can do this.

Failing that some mpg2 compression can do the job but normally the results are not the best.

Try reducing the frame rate and sound quality until you get something you like at the resolution you are looking for.

shroy002:
For those of you out there posting videos on the web what is your software of choice for compressing these videos, and after compressing them do you embed them in your web page or just provide links for downloading.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Right now I am using final cut pro and quicktime but the file sizes are still a little large for my tastes.

Feedback would be appreciated. In my opinion the quality is decent but going from high quality to next lower level isn't acceptable not even really worth posting that video. Would something like Media Cleaner help in this situation?

Thanks.

Steve

I guess you have a MAC.

I have a PC and use Microsoft Media Encoder which can be downloaded for free off their website.

I have several videos on my website. You can download a few to take a look at file size vs. resolution compression quality.

http://www.ronrosa.com/ron/scuba.htm

shroy002:

Thanks.

Steve

I want my royalty check!!! I'm the guy using the yellow housing.

Keep the files big guys!!! I always look at the online videos and inevitably wonder how great that video really looks without all the chop and loss of resolution. BTW the download time for your video was minimal Steve and well worth the wait.

Jeff

JRO:
I want my royalty check!!! I'm the guy using the yellow housing.

Keep the files big guys!!! I always look at the online videos and inevitably wonder how great that video really looks without all the chop and loss of resolution. BTW the download time for your video was minimal Steve and well worth the wait.

Jeff

JRO, WTF? -- I sent the check (actually it was cash-if I remember right a couple hundred bucks) back in September :wink:

Ah, but you have a cable modem do you not--that always makes for a speedy download. I am trying to be nice to those with dsl and modem. Plus it is a good learning experience for me.

Good to hear from you - how was the cruise?

Ronrosa - yes I use a MAC, I have to manage a network of 450 pc's and using the mac is the only way to keep my sanity at home, but I do have access to everything I need to for the Windows Media Player and I have been impressed with its capabilities. Now I just need to find some time away at work.

Ronrosa, I have a night manta dive booked for the 17th of february and two more tentatively booked after that. Hoping that it is as great as it looked in your video.

shroy002:
Ronrosa - yes I use a MAC, I have to manage a network of 450 pc's and using the mac is the only way to keep my sanity at home, but I do have access to everything I need to for the Windows Media Player and I have been impressed with its capabilities. Now I just need to find some time away at work.

Ronrosa, I have a night manta dive booked for the 17th of february and two more tentatively booked after that. Hoping that it is as great as it looked in your video.

I've got my editing process down pretty tight. I can throw together a watchable video pretty fast and then take my time with the details.

The manta ray night dive is my favorite dive in my limited (130 dives) dive career. I think it will remain my favorite for a long time. I'm sure the manta's will show up at least once out of your 3 dives. One manta showing on my dive was awesome. Can't imagine how great it would be if a whole group showed up.

Back
Top Bottom