video from 1/18/14 dive to metridium fields

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
metridium fields 1 18 2014 - YouTube

The edited video from the dive report I posted. The sea lion corpse is at 7:30 in the video.

Breakwater parking lot almost totally full top to bottom when I arrived around 10:30.

Finally did metridium fields today, can't believe it has taken me this long to check them out. Found them just fine and it was very enjoyable. Vis was 20-25, sunny and warm topside with almost no wind. occasional sets of 3-4ft surf rolling in but otherwise calm, walk in/out entry as long as you do so between sets.

Variety of jellies including many of what I believe are called sea butterflies. At the metridiums there was a good number of nettles cruising mid-water. Observed some octopus in the sand around the metridiums as well. these were a bit larger than those I typically see in the sand right of the breakwater. From the metridiums I took a course back towards the entry next to the wall rather than follow the pipe back the way I came. On the reef mid-way in about 30fsw I came across an almost totally decomposed corpse of what was most likely a sea lion. Basiclly a 2' x 3' mound of tissue/blubber largely covered by bat stars and a number of bones in and adjacent to it. Looked like rib bones from what I could tell. Fascinating and a bit creepy.

After the dive eating a very late lunch on the bluff above the beach saw a whale spouting not far away, roughly just beyond where I believe "the barge" dive site would be. I was very surprised to see it so close to boat traffic. Looked to be a small whale and saw it spout several times and it clearly did not have much of a dorsal fin so I think that would make it a gray whale most likely.

Thanks for posting your video. Looks like you (or more likely your camera) got pretty close and personal with that octopus. The sea-lion corpse does looks creepy.

I'm new to the California and definitely looking forward for an opportunity to go diving in Monterey soon.

. Looks like you (or more likely your camera) got pretty close and personal with that octopus.

Yes, I think when they see their reflection in the wide angle lens they get curious and come closer to check it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom