Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jody Michels

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a strange topic, but I need some info some things. Lets say, a father who is quite poor, and lives off of the sea itself, decides on his sons 16th birthday to get him a diving suit, what kinda gear would that be? Although cheaper than most things, is of great quality and would last until the son could no longer fit that wetsuit. Things such as:
-Type of air tanks
-wet suits
- flippers
Things like that...

Why is the title of this "Video game".

I am unclear what exactly you are looking for. Advice on ALL of the SCUBA gear required? If so you may need to take a course before going out and getting all this stuff. If you buy new you'll be looking at A LOT of money. Not to mention the cost of the course.

Why is the title of this "Video game".

I am unclear what exactly you are looking for. Advice on ALL of the SCUBA gear required? If so you may need to take a course before going out and getting all this stuff. If you buy new you'll be looking at A LOT of money. Not to mention the cost of the course.
I'm making a video game about scuba diving. Never mind. Obviously wrong place to be asking this if this is what I get as a reply. I was just trying to figure out what to base my 3d models off of.

Your post seemed a little confusing and had no intro hence Fogest's question. Plus, it probably is in the wrong forum.

I've seen some interesting questions on Scubaboard that are outside the norm. I think people will help, they just needed to have some background on why you're asking. Also, we want to ensure we're not setting up a newbie to dive in a way that's unsafe.

In order to answer your question, you'd need to provide more info.

1. Where is this happening? NYC prices are different than NY state prices which are different from Michigan pricing. These prices are different from prices in the Philippines and so on.

2. What time of year will he go diving or will it be all year round? (The water is likely to get at least a little colder at certain times of year and additional equipment may be needed.)

3. People are usually encouraged not to buy all their equipment when they start out....and instead to rent it while they take a scuba diving course and then for some months after. For what you're doing, you don't want course pricing or rental pricing, just gear pricing?

4. Are you looking for basic gear pricing as in what is the bare minimum needed in order to go scuba diving safely?

5. Will he want to help his father live off the sea? If so, for what specifically? For instance, maybe he needs a speargun for large fish or a net for lobster, etc.

Your post seemed a little confusing and had no intro hence Fogest's question. Plus, it probably is in the wrong forum.

I've seen some interesting questions on Scubaboard that are outside the norm. I think people will help, they just needed to have some background on why you're asking. Also, we want to ensure we're not setting up a newbie to dive in a way that's unsafe.

In order to answer your question, you'd need to provide more info.

1. Where is this happening? NYC prices are different than NY state prices which are different from Michigan pricing. These prices are different from prices in the Philippines and so on.

2. What time of year will he go diving or will it be all year round? (The water is likely to get at least a little colder at certain times of year and additional equipment may be needed.)

3. People are usually encouraged not to buy all their equipment when they start out....and instead to rent it while they take a scuba diving course and then for some months after. For what you're doing, you don't want course pricing or rental pricing, just gear pricing?

4. Are you looking for basic gear pricing as in what is the bare minimum needed in order to go scuba diving safely?

5. Will he want to help his father live off the sea? If so, for what specifically? For instance, maybe he needs a speargun for large fish or a net for lobster, etc.
I think I got it. I was just trying to make it easier to find that kinda stuff.

Your terminology is off which is part of the reason for our confusion.

A traditional Diving Kit consists of the following:
Exposure protection (Wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood)
Mask (not goggles)
Fins (not flippers)
Snorkel
BC (Buoyancy Compensator)
Regulator (Consists Primary mouthpiece, Secondary mouthpiece, Gauges, BC [air supply] inflator hose)
----> ie. you should have 4 hoses, 2 on the Diver's Right, 2 on the Diver's Left.
Tank
Lead Weights
Weight System (to hold Lead Weight)

If you want to break it down further into gear specifics: material, mixing/matching/optimizing, you're opening up a scuba lecture.

For your 3D model, make sure nothing is dangling or dragging off the diver. Everything should be stowed and clipped off. That's one of the biggest faux pas we divers groan about when we see Divers in media.
Another is mirroring the regulator. There's a right and wrong side to put the breathing part & the pressure gauge part.
Primary & Secondary breathing mouthpieces should be on the Diver's Right Side (Diver's perspective), Pressure Gauge should be on the left, BC inflator hose should be on left. Snorkel should be on the divers left side of the mask.

I think you could get a lot of great information here and I think this could be a pretty interesting conversation.

Different scenarios and different gear setups.
Realistic situations and challenges and risks.

If you need to get up close with some gear just find a friendly dive shop, tell them what you are doing, and see it for free

Your terminology is off which is part of the reason for our confusion.

A traditional Diving Kit consists of the following:
Exposure protection (Wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood)
Mask (not goggles)
Fins (not flippers)
Snorkel
BC (Buoyancy Compensator)
Regulator (Consists Primary mouthpiece, Secondary mouthpiece, Gauges, BC [air supply] inflator hose)
----> ie. you should have 4 hoses, 2 on the Diver's Right, 2 on the Diver's Left.
Tank
Lead Weights
Weight System (to hold Lead Weight)

If you want to break it down further into gear specifics: material, mixing/matching/optimizing, you're opening up a scuba lecture.

For your 3D model, make sure nothing is dangling or dragging off the diver. Everything should be stowed and clipped off. That's one of the biggest faux pas we divers groan about when we see Divers in media.
Another is mirroring the regulator. There's a right and wrong side to put the breathing part & the pressure gauge part.
Primary & Secondary breathing mouthpieces should be on the Diver's Right Side (Diver's perspective), Pressure Gauge should be on the left, BC inflator hose should be on left. Snorkel should be on the divers left side of the mask.
That's it. That's what I wanted. Just basic stuff. Sorry for all the confusion

That's it. That's what I wanted. Just basic stuff. Sorry for all the confusion

I would for the 1st approximation take mask, fins, and tank with the regulator and pressure gauge hoses. Wetsuit's basically a layer of neoprene foam on top of diver's body and weights required to sink that foam are commonly flat chunks of lead on diver's belt.

A buoyancy compensator comes in a couple of different types, but will often be completely deflated while underwater. So you could do without for starters. An easy one to model might be a donut aircell around the tank, aka "backplate and wing" -- but still: you normally won't have much air in it while underwater.

PS. many people keep their folding snorkel in a pocket, or clip it to the body someplace out of the way while underwater.

Ah, sorry Jody, I did not realize you were looking for answers to these questions as you were using them in a video game. I assumed you were wanting actually get into diving and that is why your post confused me :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom