Video light and marine life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WelshGasman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys,

I have been taking photos underwater for a little while. Nothing expensive, just snaps with a Canon A720IS and an Intova Flash. I've taken a few videos which have been good (for me at least) in the fact that I have been able to get close to the subject. Of course everything is blue. I don't have a red filter and no real means of putting one on the housing.

Now toying with getting a video light (Intova Galaxy) but was wondering how this might affect getting close to the subject. I dare say shining a bright light at a Turtle or Eagle ray is going to put them off some?.

How have the people with bright video lights fared.?

TIA

I keep my Sola 1200s on lowest power (although they are still pretty bright) and definitely have some concerns about this with some species as a marine biologist. I've recently been filming a cabezon (fish) guarding his nest of eggs with my lights on and the last two days he has swum out and bit me on the finger. Don't know if the lights bother him, or he thinks I'm an egg predator.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping on some info from people who had tried with and without lights and had noticed any reluctance on the subject when lights are used. I suppose once you have the lights, you never dive without them, or not use them when they are there.?

Here in SoCal waters lights are pretty essential to filming underwater because our visibility is nowhere near like that in the tropics and red light is quickly filtered out. Even in the tropics I prefer using my lights to bring out all the colors.

I went out yesterday to film the cabezon again and shortly after I started filming he actually swam away from the nest and stayed away. Don't know if it was me or the video lights that caused that, but I quickly left so he'd return to guard his eggs.

Sorry for the late reply.

I've decide to bite the bullet and get one light and see how that goes.

On holiday in Cozumel toward the end of the month, so will be able to find out pretty soon.

Many thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom