Video light as a primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grocio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I'm a sport diver who lives in the Netherlands, meaning someone usually diving in cold (5 - 20 Celsius grades), low-viz water (0,5 - 4 meters). My primary light (a UK C4) is getting old and somewhat unreliable and hence I just started considering getting a new one. However, since I've a video light i-Torch Pro5+ (1600 lumens; three level of brightness), I was wondering whether it could play the role of primary light. I use my primary light for night diving, color replacement, fish and creature spotting, and diver identification during dives with reduced viz.

Certainly I'll test the suitability of my video light for such uses myself, but I'd love to know whether you've experience in using video lights as a primary light and, if yes, how it was.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

I own quite a few lights and bought a FIT 2400 video light. You can change the beam between wide and spot. It is a fantastic light. Even in wide mode I prefer it for normal diving ie anything that does not require light signals such as cave diving. For night diving it is incredible. Bottom line: good video lights make great primary lights for recreational diving.

they do so long as there isn't particulate matter suspended in the water, if there is, they cause a tremendous amount of back scatter which is why the laser focus of the HID's is preferred for most murky water diving, so evaluate that based off of your diving conditions. Lower power is better for preventing backscatter, 1600 lumen is certainly enough in a video head to become disorienting in low viz situations.

Having a backup light that had a very tight spot is crucial for signalling if you are planning on using the video light as primary. Not a problem, just make sure one of the backups has a tight spot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom