video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why not. You take a motorcycle safety course, you often see videos of motorcyclists doing something stupid and dying. I think it helps scare people into not doing something stupid themselves. It's a valuable training tool.

I also think the family of the deceased should be the ones to make the decision in each particular case, though. It should be up to them whether their relative's mistake should be a training tool or not.

[edit: I don't mean to imply that the deceased did anything stupid, merely that the video may help prevent people from taking their own stupid risks because of the potential costs.]

mania:
The last minutes of Dave Shaw in the Boesmansgat cave
Here is the full story:
http://capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2372385

I would like to know your opinion whether such video should or should not be broadcasted - at least within the divers community?

I personally think it shouldn't.
Mania

It seems to me, at this distance, that a simple line with a hook on it and put the hook on the dead divers tank and exit the cave and pull body to the surface? 20m = 60 ft?

The 20m depth was after the bodies had floated up.
The depth of the accident was more like 270m.

At 270m there is very little room for error.

He could have easily been working too hard causing a CO2 buildup. O2 tox is far more likely the more CO2 you have built up.

I would be interested in seeing the video to try to learn something and I think that divers who go deep might also want to see it but I don't know if showing it publicly is a good idea or not.
Perhaps the family could gain comfort in knowing that his final video was continuing to save lives.

No easy answers in these cases.

Assuming the family agrees to it - Training tool through the appropriate channels yes, open to public scrutiny and finger pointing online - well you guess :wink:

270 meters ??????
Jesus-God !!! That's over 810" !!!!

I don't care what it is, I'm not going that deep out side of a deep diving submarine!

The Kraken:
270 meters ??????

I don't care what it is, I'm not going that deep out side of a deep diving submarine!

Isn't that way beyond any dive depth? Never heard of that kind of depth for divers. Is that a misprint? :06:

simbrooks:
Assuming the family agrees to it - Training tool through the appropriate channels yes, open to public scrutiny and finger pointing online - well you guess :wink:

Totally agree. As a dive tool, yes, for the public, no.

Don't know. Pipedope must've read something about the dive somewhere else.

The Kraken:
270 meters ??????

actually closer to 880 feet.

No its not a misprint, he did the same dive back in october..

The open circuit record is 1030 feet but that was just a bounce dive.. both daves dives were working dives..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom