video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rollie:
I feel it was stupped for the guy to go and try to retreave his buddies body in the first place, he should of been left to the sea. One stupped mistake follows another one this dive. Rebreathers kill and will continue to kill.

Rollie

What is st-up-ed:) Like stood up. I know this has been covered but it wasn't his dive buddy. I may be the only one to somewhat support Rollie although I do not at all support the word I think he was trying to spell...stupid. That is a terrible word to me. Shaw was obviously not stupid but I don't think he was being very smart either. And I believe there may have been a degree of "showboating" going on. He was going to be doing the deepest rebreather dive...I could be mistaken about that. If I am I apologize. But I think I am right to say he knew he would have the record for doing the deepest body recovery. I also believe there was some degree of ego involved. He was a very experienced diver, but, records or not, the bottom line was he forgot one of the basic tenants of diving. Plan your dive and dive your plan. His plan went South...well actually North...when the body released from the bottom. This event wasn't in the plan. At that point the dive should have been aborted. He found himself trying to place a body bag on a floating corpse which resulted in his over exertion and ultimately in a tragedy. We need always remember to plan our dives and dive our plans no matter how experienced we are. Should it be viewed...It's well documented in print.

rawls:
He was going to be doing the deepest rebreather dive...I could be mistaken about that. If I am I apologize. But I think I am right to say he knew he would have the record for doing the deepest body recovery.
He had already made the dive once (thats when he discovered the body), so it definitely wasnt a matter of setting a record for deepest dive.

It is stated that he really wanted to recover the body out of respect for the lost diver and his family. I have no reason to believe that wasnt the primary motivation. Perhaps the challenge was also motivation. I cant say.

The planning of this dive was quite comprehensive. Nothing about it appears to me to be cavalier or even reckless. But it was definitely pushing the envelope.

The account is very fascinating, well worth the time it takes to read. Certainly left me with a respect for all involved in this amazing operation. It is truly unfortunate that it cost Dave Shaw his life.

Willie

Rollie:
I feel it was stupped for the guy to go and try to retreave his buddies body in the first place, he should of been left to the sea. One stupped mistake follows another one this dive. Rebreathers kill and will continue to kill.

Rollie
You should feel 'stuped'.
- the victim Dave Shaw tried to recover wasn't his buddy
- he wasn't in the sea, but an inland cave
- rebreathers don't kill (the diver to be recovered was on OC)

SA-Diver:
Maybe a moderator should consider closing this thread, as it serves no useful purpose at all!!!!
whatdecostop?:
I with you on this SA-Diver......time to put this puppy to bed......and move on.
So am I. Would someone please close this thread?
It's way past it's due date and starting to stink pretty badly.

Folks,

This thread has deteriorated completely from its original intent and purview. Discussion of the pro's and con's of choosing to do such an incredibly deep and difficult dive should be left to those who have the experience in rebreathers to know what they are talking about.

Dave Shaw was a good man, a great rebreather diver, and a daring explorer. The dive world is a much poorer place without him, and without individuals such as he was.

The thread is now closed.

R. Davie
SB Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom