video showing diver's death - should be broadcasted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toadie:
If it wasn't meant to be shown... there wouldn't have been a camera. Pretty simple solution me thinks....don't forget that the diver took the camera with him... why? So we can all see what it's like to put a diver in a body bag? I read some of the post about people saying how it's morbid, it's not right... blah blah blah... is it right to take a camera down in the first place? I watched the video, it's not bad and if someone can use it as a tool to assist in learning then I think you should use it.

Diving agencies push how "fun" diving is and as a DM I can't use words like danger, panic, etc... Maybe... just maybe if people realized that diving is fun but it's also about safety people would be more careful in general.

This was a 270m dive, how does that have anything to do with teaching diving? That is like talking to new drivers and using Evil Knievel as an example.

I don't see why we are even talking about it. I have already seen the video on 20/20 or some show like that....sooo I am sure millions of people have already viewed it. The parents of the deceased young man that Dave was trying to retrieve were showcased on the documentary also. Personally, I think it was ego driven that a person would try a dive like that. I don't care if he already did it successfully or not.

Whatever Dave's reason was for doing the dive, and whether the video should be broadcast or not, doesn't matter.
The video was broadcast and lots of people saw it, there is nothing to learn from it.

Dave has friends and maybe even family visiting this board - please think before you post remarks like this "Personally, I think it was ego driven that a person would try a dive like that. I don't care if he already did it successfully or not."

Maybe a moderator should consider closing this thread, as it serves no useful purpose at all!!!!

SA-Diver:
Whatever Dave's reason was for doing the dive, and whether the video should be broadcast or not, doesn't matter.
The video was broadcast and lots of people saw it, there is nothing to learn from it.

Dave has friends and maybe even family visiting this board - please think before you post remarks like this "Personally, I think it was ego driven that a person would try a dive like that. I don't care if he already did it successfully or not."

Maybe a moderator should consider closing this thread, as it serves no useful purpose at all!!!!
I with you on this SA-Diver......time to put this puppy to bed......and move on.

I knew when I started reading this that I had read something on it before.

I was actually able to locate it and here is the link http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200508/dave-shaw-1.html#bio#bio
This is a very good article (with photos) from a magazine named Outside online. It is not a Dive magazine persay but. . . I saw it first in the hardcopy version but it is also online free from their site versus a bootleg copy I have also seen.

It was a noble attempt that sadly ended in another death.

My 2 psi's worth!

dont no if this was posted but the world record for a dive is actually 311 meters and the guy survived i do think it is a great lose but i no many divers that have dived deeper then 270 meters o.k they maybe technical divers with trimix and several stage tanks or rebreathers but this guy was in an overhead enviroment something went wrong at that was the end (rebreather deaths seem to be getting higher why) my sympathy to both of the families involved

just 1 more thing TOADIE your are a dm u are not going to be showing divers how to do cave diving courses and he would have had the camera so the rest of the search team at the surface could see what was going on it is very dark at 270 meters even eith lights

i think that this forum has had its say let the ppl rest in peace

And I apologize for my insensitive remarks. Certainly I would not want to hurt the family any more than they are already hurting. Didn't even enter my mind that family members might be involved in this discussion. Again I apologize. But it is time to close this thread.

whatdecostop?:
I with you on this SA-Diver......time to put this puppy to bed......and move on.

umm, wait just a minute....you are not getting off that easy, whatdecostop:D

How long between consecutive 270 meter dives should one allow?

Please share the reasoning behind the conclusion that it may be hazardous to do consecutive 270 meter dives within 2 months of eachother, besides the inherent dangers of a single 270 meter dive being technically challenging by itself. Why would less than or equal to a 2 month time buffer between consecutive 270 meter dives make the dive more dangerous (besides the obvious mathematical probability response)?

Thank you in advance. We all look forward to your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom