Video: Tigersharks in Cocos Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great video!! excellent quality (what kind of camera/housing do you use). i'll be there in august, and hope the tigers will be too!

Totally awesome. I'm going there in July. I am stoked.

hello,
yes, just been there in April and it was really good diving. We had a school of baitballs on our last day. Incredible. I think Javi used one of the old sony handheld DV camcorders when shooting the video. Have to ask him again.

Looks perfect. I am on the November 2010 cruise. Know that it long time to go, but the Maldives in January will be cool as well! Looking forward to a 50+ year in 2010.

Absolutely fantastic video! It's somewhat rare to see them in bunches; while there were you able to note (or have theories as to) the catalyst for their being in such close proximity to one another?

Thanks for sharing!

Well, I wasn´t onboard when the video was shot, when this amazing event took place at Manuelita. As far as I know, it wasn´t really clear why these tigers show up in such a great bunch, but as videographer and diveguide Javi told me, it didn´t last for a very long time and it was not repeated in such a way later on. So what to say about it? Probably the meeting happened simply by accident. But maybe something else was happening as well, later on or before, without human presence...who knows?

Awesome. Very cool.

Very impressive. If I were in the water with that many large tiger sharks, I figure that lacking a flare I'd send up a turd (because I'd likely crap myself), hug the bottom in fear and notice I was at 500 PSI but be to afraid to head for the surface. They are beautiful and I realize fears of sharks are often badly overblown, but those are tiger sharks, and when I was a kid (I'm 40 now) they were said to be second only to Great Whites in attacking humans (still a small number, but even so...), so being in the water knowing at any moment one of them might decide on a taste test...

In other news, there was footage of a sea turtle, and fish kept, well, wiping themselves on it shell. Were they trying to knock off parasites, do you think?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom