Videography equipment set ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjjbad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I'm new to the boards here. I've done a ton of research on underwater housings for video cameras. I was all set to pull the trigger on a purchase of a Canon HV 40 with an Equinox HD 6, when I read a few bad reviews about the Equinox housing. I know Ikelite makes one for this model as well.
What I'm wondering is twofold: Can anyone post what set ups they are using? And has anyone had any history with Equinox and/or Ikelite products? It seems to me that the majority of housings are made for Sony so I'm not 100 percent sold on Canon. I do like the HD and flash format for the camcorder itself. I'm not too keen on having to buy aftermarket viewers for the LCD on the Equinox. The Ikelite has a mirror for you to view the LCD.

Confused and in need of some input.

JJ

Something that's not so obvious about Canon and Ikelite combinations:

From the 6071 housing page:
Actual image will be reversed when viewed through the mirror.
What this basically means is that it will pan backward. Which can be confusing till you get used to it - personally I don't think I'd ever like it.

All Ikelite's newer Sony HD models are equipped with reversing circuitry so this doesn't happen. Since it is done through the AV Remote terminal - Canon doesn't have one.

So if you've decided on Canon and Ikelite, look for one of their housing combos that allow you to open the LCD inside.

This has been discussed endlessly here but I'm wondering why you're considering a tape based camera. I shoot tape now (Sony HC-1) but my next camera will likely be HDD based. HDV tape based cameras get 1 hr. per tape, some of the larger HDD models store over 25 hrs. of footage at the equivalent AVCHD resolution. The latest Canons all shoot (store) at 24MBPS, IIRC HDV is 25MBPS. So you might want to reconsider your camera storage options. My buddy just bought the Canon HF-200 with their WP-V1 case, the whole package was $950. The housing does have some functional limitations - 130', no Manual White Balance, Flash memory so more limited storage - but you can't beat the price. With a 32GB card your limiting factor will be battery life, not storage time.

Another point is that buying an Ikelite or Equinox housing means that future camera options are extremely limited since the controls are fixed and camera specific. Buying a Sony camera with the AV port means that you can buy a housing that will work with any future models that are basically the same size since all you do is mount it and plug it in. Some mfr's like L&M actually sell a tray that's designed for most current Sony cameras.

For example, I shoot a Sony HDR-HC1 in an Amphibico EVO. I bought one of the first ones out about 4 years ago. To convert my housing to work with the newest Sony CX520 SSD camera will require a $100 LANC to MultiAV cable from the mfr. - less if I can find it online somewhere. My camera would also work in the latest L&M Stingray housing since Sony maintains the tripod mount to lens relationship in it's 1CMOS line.

I'm not too keen on having to buy aftermarket viewers for the LCD on the Equinox.
I'm not clear on this, afaik, they have a backmounted LCD monitor option. I believe their rep recently posted that they'll soon offer a HD monitor also.

Both Ikelite and Equinox have manufacturers forums here and reps that reply to questions quickly
Equinox's is in this forum (Videography) Ikelite's is in our Mfrs' section.

hope this doesn't add to the confusion.

I believe my buddy has the equinox HD6 and he likes it. He's Scubainchicago on here, I'm sure he'll see this in a couple days and post

Thanks for the info. I am at the 'chicken or the egg' stage. Should I base my purchase on the housing or the camera. And I mixed up the Canon models. I rechecked the HV 40 and it is indeed tape (DVD?) and flash memory when I only want the HD memory model. So many confusing model numbers. Thanks for the tip there. The main problem I think I'm having is that the outlay of cash with the housing and camera looks to be about $2500.00 and I don't have the tactile option of holding the units in my hand to see if it would be easy enough for a novice camcorder operater to handle underwater. I live in Toronto Canada so it looks like I'll have to order the housing from B & H or direct from the manufacturer.
As to the aftermarket LCD, I've read that you can get it a lot cheaper going that route. I'm not sure if its advisable.

I look forward to hearing from Scubainchicago with his stories of the HD 6.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Justin

My .02 as expressed above is that I'll likely never buy a mechanicallly controlled housing. There's been at least six newer Sony camera upgrades since I bought mine in 2004, with minor adjustments and an adapter cable, any of them including the newest SSD model - CX550 - will still work in my housing. Most mechanical housings are model specific. Look at the Canon site, for all those cameras listed, their WP-V1 housing only works with two of them - the HF20/HF200. They're exactly the same model with just an extra memory card in one. I believe Equinox does offer a retro-fit service, but Ikelite doesn't from what they've posted here somewhere. And Sony does a remarkable job of moving their controls around from model to model in my experience. So how many housings do you plan to buy?

I also sometimes see posts here and on Wetpixel from people looking for older cameras to fit their housing after they've flooded/damaged/worn out their original camera. To me that seems backward.

Frankly I also much prefer having all the controls on one handle. It means that you don't have to look/feel for the different control rods/knobs while filming. But people I know that shoot mechanical housings say that's not a issue once you get used to where they are. The popularity of Gates Housings seems to confirm that.

I occasionally go to diveshows to drool over video gear. I've never found a housing that I didn't "get" just by picking it up, including Ikelite's. The only one I ever had a problem with was Seatools because they're so tiny, my big fingers were hitting two buttons simultaneously. fwiw, I've never seen/handled an Equinox in person. So I doubt there's any housing that you won't be able to handle.
As to the aftermarket LCD, I've read that you can get it a lot cheaper going that route.
Definitely, go on eBay, search LCD Monitor and pick the gadgets section. There's hundreds of them starting at around $25-30. They're sold for car backup cameras and other uses. Most even come pre-wired for composite so all you'd have to figure out is the power and mounting. And if they'll fit in the space between the back of your camera battery and the housing back cover. Especially if you get the larger camera battery to take advantage of all that HD memory time - you should. The less times you have to open your housing on a trip the better.

Mechanical and electronic housings. Each have their pluses and minuses as well as fans and detractors.

Ikelite's been around for like, forever. Equinox is newer, so not much info is out there. One big thing that bothers me about Equinox is the size of the housing compared to the size of the camcorder.

I'd go Ikelite and Canon or Canon and their own housing. If you are just starting, keep it small and cheap.

Thanks again for the information. I'm going to ask 'Scubainchicago if I can post the email he sent me; on this thread. Steve I think I'm going to go with the Canon S100. I'm a little reticent about the lack of viewfinder but I think this won't be an issue underwater with an LCD. Also it lacks an EVF port? I'm not sure what this is. I understand your issue with regards to having the housing upgradable if you decide to get a new camera in the future. Personally I only buy a new camera when the old one breaks! I've had enough dives doing underwater stills that I think if I get the right setup it will last me for years. Perhaps this is naivete.
Thanks again for everyones help

Justin

Heres the post by Scubainchicago:

Originally Posted by ScubaInChicago
I have nothing but good things to say about the housing combonation that I currently have. I have the Canon HG10 with the hard drive and an Equinox HD6 housing. If I were to do it all over and save a buck or two here are my suggestions.

1) Find a slightly used camcorder on Ebay, expect to save over 50% of new....Some people buy camcorders only to see them collect dust.

2) Buy the Equinox housing straight from the manufacturer. They quoted me a price of $799.99

3) Get the monitor and back from them and ask for a credit for the standard back.

4) For video lights I would get either a Halcyon set of HID video lights or a used set of Salvo or Light Monkey HID lights. These serve as both video lights and with the purchase of a goodman handle they can become a kick ass primary light for diving. They can be had used from $700-$1200. The advantage is that they can, and I do use them on EVERY dive as either a primary light or as video lights.

Let me know if there is anything specific I can help you find or price out that may save you a buck or two. If you do enough reserch you can pick up all the gear at a price you can resale for minimal to no loss but get the enjoyment of the video.

Here is some video I shot over the weekend in a mine in MO with no daylight.....These were dual 18W HID Halcyon lights that I convert to a single primary with a goodman handle when I'm not shooting video....

[vimeo]8689335[/vimeo]

Back
Top Bottom