Views on playing with or harrasing marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonyc:
I am not a member of PITA or green peace... definitely not vegan.

PITA???? There is an organization fighting to protect the rights of our pocket breads???????

I belong to PETA....People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

jagfish:
I can't find the post by the guy who was in the video (Rusty?). Can anyone tell me what page it is on?

JAG

Sorry for the trouble Jag. It was never posted here on SB. The guy who produced it sent it out to my listserv, then one of my subscribers posted it on his own bbs, it traveled quickly, and the southern California dive community has been discussing it since.

I did not save it when I opened it so I cannot send you a copy. Sorry. He has removed it from his website.

One of the best things to happen because of it is that we are reflecting on our beliefs and discussing them. That is a good thing!

jagfish:
I can't find the post by the guy who was in the video (Rusty?). Can anyone tell me what page it is on?

JAG

It is the second post in this thread if that is what you were referring to. And I don't know if he was IN the video, it was on his shop's website.

LowTide:
Wow! Hello Mr. Pot, my name is Mr. Kettle and boy you are black.

You did the same thing you said others shouldn't do in the sentence before?

You're right, I apologize. Post was written out of emotion. I just continue to be amazed at how people treat other living creatures. I eat meat, I'm not a member of PETA, so I am not a saint, but cutting up urchins to feed garibaldis (and the thought that they release eggs as their final act certainly has irony) is an activity I have only ever seen males do. I am no urchin fan. I am not a mouse fan either, But I would not cut up a live mouse to feed to my cat either. I can't help but wonder what the underlying motivation is for these kinds of acts.

(psst, anyone know that if you knock a rock on another rock on the ground you'll gets lots of fishy friends? So if it's fish you want near you, try that instead - of course, that is learned behavior, from those that break up urchins)

I was also offended by whoever posted that the "great shots" --whichever ones those are - are obtained by restraining animals. MAJOR insult to me and my photographer friends

Guess I have a hard time wondering how any person would not think the video is black and white inappropriate. But people will continue to amaze me, I guess.

Chris

Yes, but what is really amazing is that "other living creatures" is given some sort of equality status. Let's see - what's living? Grass, flies, urchins, etc, etc.

If you eat meat, you just have someone else do your killing. And by the way, they don't "release eggs", like its a conscious act, as their final act. THINK!

Please people - your people. Stop anthropomorphising onto creatures that are far lower on the evolutionary ladder than what you had for breakfast... Jeesh!

gj62:
Yes, but what is really amazing is that "other living creatures" is given some sort of equality status. Let's see - what's living? Grass, flies, urchins, etc, etc.

If you eat meat, you just have someone else do your killing. And by the way, they don't "release eggs", like its a conscious act, as their final act. THINK!

Please people - your people. Stop anthropomorphising onto creatures that are far lower on the evolutionary ladder than what you had for breakfast... Jeesh!

Please point out exactly where I ascribed human emotions to an animal please..........I assume you are referring to me since you raised the release of eggs issue (again, please point out where I said it was a conscious act, as opposed to your assumptions)

At any rate, since it is clear that you agree with the actions in the video, there's really nothing for us to discuss. Please go collect your SSA angel shark rider cert from Rusty

Chris

ChrisM:
Please point out exactly where I ascribed human emotions to an animal please..........I assume you are referring to me since you raised the release of eggs issue (again, please point out where I said it was a conscious act, as opposed to your assumptions)

At any rate, since it is clear that you agree with the actions in the video, there's really nothing for us to discuss. Please go collect your SSA angel shark rider cert from Rusty

Chris
Chris, the plural of person is people, the reason I said "people" was that on this and the other thread, folks have mentioned emotions such as distress when talking about critters.

Yes, the release of the eggs was in response to your comment. The eggs get eaten.

BTW - I've seen many women do all of these actions - of course, they probably have their certs from Rusty too (whom I've never met).

My point earlier is that the choices you make seem to be at odds with your philosophy of "touch nothing". Touching for curiousity is worse than touching to eat? OK, I guess if you have that line in your life, that's fine with me...

ChrisM:
I always laugh when people say "what about pollution, what about bigger issues?" As if we can only address those larger issues. Ever heard of think globally act locally? That argument is a non sequitur and a cheap and easy way out for people that are too afraid/jaded/important/arrogant to actually do something about behavior they disagree with.

To those that kill urchins for sport, fine. I don't agree, have never done it, and actually what bothers me more is swimming through afterwards, bottom looks like s*** and trash with urchin pieces. Whatever. if that floats your macho boat, fine. You shouldn't insult those that disagree with you though.

Chris

Well said, Chris.

ChrisM:
....there's really nothing for us to discuss. Please go collect your SSA angel shark rider cert from Rusty

Chris

Yes, thank you very much. Now I need to clean the spewed coffee off the key board. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom