Views on playing with or harrasing marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are pathetic.

Would you rather have video of Rusty putting a spear shaft through the sharks head? Aparently this is not harassment. The thousands of students Rusty has introduced to the slendor of diving certainly brings more to our common interests of promoting the ocean than does a few seconds of poor judgement. At least he is out there, doing the dives and filming the action, in an attempt to show non divers and divers alike the beauty and importance of the ocean. This is, by far, not the worst that has, or will happen to this particular shark.

It is easy to see how one could get overly enthusiatic at finding an Angel shark in 160ft of water. Narcosis has set in, and things happen. Anyone who has done any type of underwater photography knows that when it comes to your own work, it often takes the separation of time to gain any sense of objectivity. The fact that Rusty had this awesome footage of a beautiful creature out weighed his any objectivity he may have had; he wanted to share the experience with everyone. I think it's pretty awesome to get footage of an Angel shark. None the less, once a different view point was brought to his attention, and objectivity arrived, the video was taken down.

Rusty, and all other dive instructors are key in increasing the exposure to, and appreciation of the ocean. This carries with it a considerable responsibility though. Do not be too quick to assassintate those who support our greater cause. There are far too few of us.

DJPeeWee:
At least he is out there, doing the dives and filming the action, in an attempt to show non divers and divers alike the beauty and importance of the ocean. This is, by far, not the worst that has, or will happen to this particular shark.

I am sure most environmentally responsible divers would agree not to have this fellow instructing at all if this is the sort of behavior he condones. Worse, the questionable aspects were placed online for others to view, again under the assumption that this behavior is acceptable. It's not.
Quite frankly, if a diver is going to interact with marine organisms in this manner, he should have some credentials in field biology or animal handling. To be otherwise is advertising professional ignorance for his actions, which is what I am seeing.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

So, you're saying he was narced????? and that's why he took the footage? What, the dudes on rebreathers were so narced they thought the sharks were girls?

this has to be a troll (sadly, I think it is not)

Rusty gets credit for teaching thousands of students? Not if that's what he teaches them.

Chris

DJPeeWee:
...Would you rather have video of Rusty putting a spear shaft through the sharks head? ...
Uh, I don't think your helping your cause with this statement. The implication is the video exist and if so would I am certain it would generate a lot of negative discussion.
DJPeeWee:
... The thousands of students Rusty has introduced to the splendor of diving certainly brings more to our common interests of promoting the ocean than does a few seconds of poor judgment. At least he is out there, doing the dives and filming the action, in an attempt to show non divers and divers alike the beauty and importance of the ocean....
And that would be our point exactly. He is supposedly promoting the ocean with inappropriate (IMHO) interaction with the shark.
DJPeeWee:
...The fact that Rusty had this awesome footage of a beautiful creature out weighed his any objectivity he may have had; he wanted to share the experience with everyone...
Yes it was awesome footage, right up until he started manhandling the animal.
DJPeeWee:
... None the less, once a different view point was brought to his attention, and objectivity arrived, the video was taken down....
Actually, by more than one account that I have read on this and other boards, he and/or his shop initially responded with rudeness and bluster defending his video and essentially said to stuff it if we did not like it. Only when the it became very obvious that the tide of the diving public opinion was against his action did he start to connect the dots to his pocket book and remove the video.
DJPeeWee:
...Rusty, and all other dive instructors are key in increasing the exposure to, and appreciation of the ocean. This carries with it a considerable responsibility though....
Again, this is exactly our point. He should be setting a better example.

pasley:
Uh, I don't think your helping your cause with this statement. The implication is the video exist and if so would I am certain it would generate a lot of negative discussion.

And that would be our point exactly. He is supposedly promoting the ocean with inappropriate (IMHO) interaction with the shark.
Yes it was awesome footage, right up until he started manhandling the animal.
Actually, by more than one account that I have read on this and other boards, he and/or his shop initially responded with rudeness and bluster defending his video and essentially said to stuff it if we did not like it. Only when the it became very obvious that the tide of the diving public opinion was against his action did he start to connect the dots to his pocket book and remove the video.
Again, this is exactly our point. He should be setting a better example.

Actually business is up and I gotta thank everyone for the free publicity. Thanks a Bunch! Just wait til ya get the next cool video.

I think marine life deserves respect, no more comments.
Many people live from the well conseved resource, in my opinion the video does not help to this.
This thread showing how "great footages", "ways to do business up", and "free publicity"..... are priorities to some people is a shame.

VoodooGas:
Actually business is up and I gotta thank everyone for the free publicity. Thanks a Bunch! Just wait til ya get the next cool video.

Uh huh, and you pulled the video because...?

I sent and received a reply from Rusty. His position is that his actions did not harm the shark. I relayed a response from our board {digitaldiver.net} that he explain his position that his actions did not harm the shark. He declined and simply cited similer activities as his defense.

My position is that we humans are responsible to other humans to preserve the rare natural corners of the world that still exist so that future generations can enjoy them. That means to me the minimum impact possible while enjoying them.

I do not fine Rusty's activities acceptable and will not frequent his business.

That does not mean I think Rusty is a terrible person...simply wrong...and economic pressure is all I have to change his mind.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom