Vintage 1950's Steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep South Divers

Contributor
Reaction score
I have two tanks for sale, literally acquired out of a farmer's barn. I believe that they're steel (even though one's got a sticker on it that says "Aqualung Aluminum Cylinders"), but I don't know much else about them. Based on the numbers (looks like they got their first hydro in 1963), the difficult-to-read manufacturer's stamps appear to have an original date of 1954 and 1958.

They appear to be steel 72's, and are slightly smaller, both in diameter and length, than an AL80. They have rounded bottoms on them, which are covered by tank boots. They have odd-looking valves on them, which apparently predate J-valves. Tank opening is a smaller diameter than today's valves, and they use teflon tape to seal rather than an O-ring.

From the manufacturer's numbers, I believe one has an operating pressure of 2000 psi, and the other 2250.

See attached photos.

I truly have no idea what these are worth, so I am open to bids. Highest bid as of May 15th, 2011 will get these tanks.

Available for pickup near Hilton Head, SC, or can deliver anywhere around North Florida at the end of May.

Call SeaJay at 843-252-4500 or email at SeaJay@DeepSouthDivers.org .

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

Last edited:
Those are steel tanks with K valves. They probably have blow out plugs instead of burst disks, but they can be replaced with burst disks wgich are a great deal safer.

Thanks, Walter! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom