vintage double 50's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba70

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just aquired a set of double steel 50's. They originate from the late 60's. They are no longer serviceable, but they are visibly in great looking condition. They have a single band and original US divers back pack. These things are so cool looking! I was wondering if they might be worth anything, and if so, how much. I may just hang on to them just as a conversation piece. Any opinions would be welcome.

I've just aquired a set of double steel 50's. They originate from the late 60's. They are no longer serviceable, but they are visibly in great looking condition. They have a single band and original US divers back pack. These things are so cool looking! I was wondering if they might be worth anything, and if so, how much. I may just hang on to them just as a conversation piece. Any opinions would be welcome.

Why aren't they serviceable? Did they fail hydro?

What makes them not serviceable?

If they can be hydroed and possibly even if not they could be worth several hundred dollars. Double 50/45/38 vintage steel tanks are highly desireable to pre-BC divers.

N

Double 50s was (is) a really cool setup.

I got a good idea, just send them to me and I will get you some pics--lol--:wink: .

N

I will pay for shipping... and I will post some really nice pictures with them, both top side and underwater. :D

A friend of mine gave me a set of double 50's. First there was the hydro and VIP for two tanks, then I decided to go with backplate and wing,I wasn't using the horse collar anymore. Then I thought that was a lot of money for a set of doubles without a dual manifold. I got the dual manifold and then Luxfer came out with their trade in offer so I got the coupons and traded up to dual 80's. I now had a set of dual 80's like I trained on and I remembered why I used to like diving with singles when I wasn't training.
Anybody want to buy a dual manifold, bands, and a dive rite trek wing. I really like my PST 130 singles.

A friend of mine gave me a set of double 50's. First there was the hydro and VIP for two tanks, then I decided to go with backplate and wing,I wasn't using the horse collar anymore. Then I thought that was a lot of money for a set of doubles without a dual manifold. I got the dual manifold and then Luxfer came out with their trade in offer so I got the coupons and traded up to dual 80's. I now had a set of dual 80's like I trained on and I remembered why I used to like diving with singles when I wasn't training.
Anybody want to buy a dual manifold, bands, and a dive rite trek wing. I really like my PST 130 singles.

I like double 50's, anything bigger and I want a Sherpa to carry them for me. :wink:
Also with doubles I prefer no back pack or back plate, just a harness. IMHO it is the most comfortable rig.
The only draw back is that up here in Maine I need a BC, so I end up using a horse colar, which is not bad... :)

Vintage double 50 would not work well with a BP/wing. The reason this size of double tank was once popular was that they were essentially neutral when rigged out, much like a standard steel 72, they were short, compact, low profile and had excellent balance. They were not doubled up for redundancy as are double sets today--it was an entirely different approach than we use today. They should be dived as intended with a single manifold, no BC or horsecollar on a SeaHunt original harness.

I just got a new UW camera so I am pretty sure I can get better pics than Luis and I will match his offer to ship---:wink: ( I am just kidding).

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom