violence towards non-natives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Not if it falls outside the rules outlined in the Terms of Service. I believe racist statements would be outside the TOS.

Heck, I can't make the political comments that I would like to on this board. Even some of the sexual ones are forbidden. But then I'm really here to talk diving.

I understand that completely, which is why I added the little disclaimer about maybe not in this forum, I think thats what I said anyways.

So how was everyone's day today. It rained here a bit in SD, which is ok cause I like the rain. Although I hear the rain in Hawaii is pretty sucky. Anyways I just wanted to wish everyone a happy friday and that ya'all have a great weekend. Be safe, Be deep, Be wet(from diving not the rain)

Thanks. oops sorry, censor god, I did't know....

catherine96821:
Thanks. oops sorry, censor god, I did't know....
It becomes a big deal when someone flags your Post to the Mods as offensive (heck I get flagged on the PPD Sub-forum just for typing “DIR” :D ). As for problems with the Locals, my Tech Instructor on the Big Island told me about an incident with a drunk Islander, who was tipping over trash cans next to Jack’s Dive Locker. The troublemaker, then proceeded to knock over all the Scuba Tanks that were next to the fill station. When my Instructor yelled at him, the big Islander –all 6’2’’ and 280lbs. of him- got into his face and said, “Waht you want beef wid me haole?!” Just then, the drunkard’s older brother showed-up –all 6’7’’ and 350lbs of him- physically picked up his drunk punk younger brother, slapped him silly and threw him into the bushes. “I’m sorry brah”, he said to my Instructor, “I know how dangerous da kine compressed air can be. The stupid Ufa-Head there don’t know any betta. . .”
My Instructor was thankful that the bigger of the two turned out to be the most sensible (and most sober!) :D . . .

Having grown up in local neighborhoods, here's my .02 cents... Generally speaking in life, if you hang out with rough crowds, you will get rough treatment... the ole' "sow what you reap" principle is very true.

That said, what Cheryl wrote earlier about the plantation era mentality was tempered with a lot more general civility and respect. There is a growing trend in the "local" (not only Hawaiian) teen/young adult population that has continued this mentality without the respect or civility and it comes out in a lot of bad ways. It is a minority of the people, and generally if you are nice and don't hang out with the "wrong" crowd you are more likely to meet some of the nices people here instead of the "jerks".

I grew up where haole was an affectionate term, that is changing, though I still like the "label." But I also knew there were certain crowds/areas where I would not be safe (and I'm a big teddy bear of a guy) and I avoided them. My neighbors ended up pulling all their kids out of public school a few years back when "kill haole day" returned to the Lahaina school system with a vengence... They got tired of their kids getting hurt simply because they were haole. (little kids - ages 5-8 at the time)

I remember talking with a co-worker about 10 years ago who was raised on a Pourtugese plantation (she is now in her mid 80's) Her comment about the current "anti-haole" climate was amazement. She told me that as a child the elders in the plantation taught the children to respect the haole because they were the educated ones who did well (Most of the management were Haole at the time) and that if they studied and worked hard they too could do well in life. So there was more of a desire to be like them and earn a place of respect in the community. Later in life when she first heard someone call out "you *** haole" she could not understand it and was very surprised at the change in attitude. btw - she was born and raised on Kauai - sweet lady who in her late 70's left most 20 yr old's in her "dust" so to speak (activity wise) ... She has made the most of the life God gave her... and still going strong :D

Another aspect of this change is the perception of what the "haole" has brought to Hawaii. 100 years ago they were still credited with bringing education and a better way of life to the islands for the local people. Over the past 50 years especially the focus has gotten off what they gave (primarily the early missionaries) and been put on what others took from the islands. Anytime you quit looking at how blessed you are and start focusing on the bad in life, you're attitude is bound to change... and you'll pass it onto your kids as well.

Aloha, Tim

skierbri10:
That is like saying, "Wow, you became diabetic." Which is a huge problem for filiopinos and hawaiian locals.

Baaaa-ZING! sarcasm at its finest.

This thread exploded. After reading all the responsed i dont think i'll have anything to worry about. I won't be dropping any racial-bombs anyway.

p.s. the locals are going to have to accept another surfer to the area!! respect where respect is due.

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
Baaaa-ZING! sarcasm at its finest.

This thread exploded. After reading all the responsed i dont think i'll have anything to worry about. I won't be dropping any racial-bombs anyway.

p.s. the locals are going to have to accept another surfer to the area!! respect where respect is due.
My sister-in-law married a Filiopino and his whole family everyone of them id diabetic. When he stopped eating rice he lost 20 pounds and was told he no longer needed to worry about what he ate. Just from the rice. He changed no other part of his diet or exercise.
BTW what part of Hawaii are you moving to? I am also from Colorado, where do you live?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom