VIP mandated tank destruction ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey once bubbled...

PST cylinders must be brought up to *almost* test pressure, then the pressure released, THEN the hydro test can me performed. The hot dip galvanizing process for some reason makes this necessary in order to not get "false negatives" on the hydro test. See technical bulletin D100 on this page:

http://www.pstscuba.com/tech.htm

I always print this out, highlight it and tape it to my PST cylinders when I bring them in for testing.

Roak

I appreciate the info.

mer once bubbled...
Thanks for the advice. I do have + rate tanks (supposedly renewable for life of the tank). <whimper> But I thought my LDS was almost in that "knowledgeable" category.
As UP said, don't write off your LDS, nor trust the hydro shop outright, do your homework on both.

The bigger the hydro facility, the more likely they are to know what they're doing. If the hydro shop does the bulk welding cylinders for O2 and inert gasses, they should know how to do a + rating because almost all of those cylinders are + rated.

Roak

Ps. Yes, your steels can be + rated for their entire lifetime (which, if carerfully cared for, will exceed yours) as long as they pass the additional calculations required for the + rating.

On the risk of getting mod'ed for diverging this thread....

How to you do your homework on LDSs and hydro shops? What are the right questions to ask and paperwork to obtain?

Nicht..nada ..zip...I absolutely did NOT sign any waiver...as a certified pack rat (and week-end farmer) there's all kind's of things you can do with a steel '72' .. which is exactly what I told Mr. Copeland....obviously to no avail...I currently have the 'bottle' at a welding supply store for a 3rd vip (opinion) but the owner there said he IS willing to document his assesment for me...I was told the hydro facility does a visual before hdro too and enters their findings and hydro data in a log..true?????....
On a quick separate note ..KUDOs to the web site.. been out of blowin bubbles for a while ..love the comradery
again thanks to all
william

Moderators: Can this be moved to the “VIP mandated tank destruction” note to keep things from becoming fragmented?

William:

Get something in writing, INLCUDING the name of the actual inspector, the person who inspected the cylinder.

THEN AFTER YOU HAVE A NAME ask for the PSI inspector number of that person. This order is important, since if employee A is a PSI inspector but employee B inspected your cylinder, you don’t want to show your hand and have them write down that employee A inspected your cylinder, since we already know they’re jerks.

Now go to the hydro shop and get the report on your cylinder. Typically there’s nothing written up on the inspection, just the result of the hydro, but if it made it to hydro it was inspected and passed; this is DOT protocol for a hydro station. Also get a copy of the hydro station’s DOT permit (or whatever it’s called) that makes them legal to do hydro tests.

Here’s the best position for you: IF a PSI inspector that’s current did NOT inspect your cylinder at the LDS, it should be open and shut. You have a certified inspector at the hydro shop that said the cylinder was good (show the judge the DOT permit). You have an uncertified, untrained or not current dive shop monkey who has destroyed your property (challenge the LDS to show a PSI certificate for the person who inspected the cylinder). Small claims court should make quick work of this yahoo if that’s the case.

If you do get a PSI inspector number from them send mail to PSI and make sure it’s valid and that they’re current. If they’re not, see above. If they are, now you get on shaky ground. If you didn’t get an inspection report until you asked for one, they didn’t follow the PSI 18 step inspection protocol, step 18 which reads, word for word:

“Return cylinder to owner with a list of tips for cylinder care and storage (see back of evaluation form). Return all parts replaced for the owner’s inspection. PROVIDE OWNER WITH A COPY OF THE WRITTEN REPORT, I.E. P.S.I. EVALUATION FORM. [emphasis mine]

If they skipped this part of the PSI inspection protocol, what other parts did they skip? But as I said you’re on shaky ground if you’re up against a current PSI inspector. Anyone else have ideas?

Roak

PSI: http://www.psicylinders.com/

roakey once bubbled...
Moderators: Can this be moved to the “VIP mandated tank destruction” note to keep things from becoming fragmented?

Yep... was already in the process of merging when I read down to see what the other note was. Thanks for the heads up, it helps if the first moderator to come by hadn't been following the other thread

I might be mistaken, but isn't the PSI status of the inspector irrelevant. Regardless of whether or not the inspector of your tank was PSI certified, the fact is the owner of the shop destroyed your tank w/o permission. You did not sign a waiver allowing this to be done, and did not say they could do it.

If the person was PSI certified, then again they broke their own rules when destroying your tank. If your tank passed hydro, then there is no grounds for destroying your tank. Rip this guy apart.

Thomas

Hi

The dive shop owner was wrong to destroy your tank. I'm a hydrostat technician and what should of happend was the dive shop owner should of explained the situation to you showing you the falts he detected in or on the cylinder and made suggestions to you and applied no visual sticker. The tank is first stamped befor a hydro test is performed, if that tank does not pass the hydro test the stamp markings are stamped out and the tank noted as failed. A scuba tank can pass a hydro test but fail the visual inspection. The visual inspection is more important than the hydro, as its at that point were fatique, cracks, bedding and holes are detected which can casue explosions any time befor the next visual or hydro test is performed. New laws are being drawn up regarding visual inspections and dive shop personel. If the tank was faulty why not let it be and concider it a good thing.

Master Chief

Master Chief

"If the tank was faulty why not let it be and concider it a good thing."

That quite a large if. Most dive shop "inspectors" are clearly not qualified. If my tank fails a visual inspection and can't be fixed with cleaning, I'll take it out of service in a heart beat. I do not want some unqualified tank monkey taking a chisel to my threads. I no longer take my tanks to dive shops for visuals, the last time I did so cured me of that forever.

Walter once bubbled...
I no longer take my tanks to dive shops for visuals, the last time I did so cured me of that forever.

Any of the alternatives suitable for a recreational diver? It's always good to understand the options.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom