Virgin Diver in Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, Can't believe these many responses. incredible community...Thanks so much. I think there is a "clear cut answer" to taking the OW(at least the theory/pool work) at home and I will. Maybe I'll do 1-2 out of the 4 required dives in Canada just to learn the tough conditions, if possible.
For taking the AOW shortly after completion of OW looks like it is 50/50, still a matter of opinion and experience. I just thought completing AOW while I'm there will allow me to do more supervised dives and provide me with the required skills in case I want to do deeper dives in future vacations. (Don't you need this certificate to do deeper dives!?) and where else is more affordable than Thailand! So I still have to think about this...

But...OK...if I'm going in mid-Feb. and doing referral when is the earliest time I should take my theory in Canada? I don't want to forget the material and get lost down there!

Any advise on where and how to take this in Toronto? The AquaSub in Toronto has a special 2for1 deal, the theory takes 2 full Saturdays.

Best Regards,

emerald4ever:
For taking the AOW shortly after completion of OW looks like it is 50/50, still a matter of opinion and experience. I just thought completing AOW while I'm there will allow me to do more supervised dives and provide me with the required skills in case I want to do deeper dives in future vacations. (Don't you need this certificate to do deeper dives!?) and where else is more affordable than Thailand! So I still have to think about this...QUOTE]

I did my AOW 3 days (cairo and back) after i did my OW in the red sea, and to be perfectly honest, it was a load of fun, not the least bit stressful. I'd done the odd bit of snorkling before, but it was all completly new.
The fact that i'd just done the OW meant i could immediatly build on what i learned before and come away with a much wider range of skills and experience that i know will help me when i start on some more courses come the turn of the year.
The studying was easier than the OW, me and the people i was doing it with broke open a couple of beers and flicked through it while the instructor filled in some paperwork.
As said before, it won't make you an advanced diver, but it's nice to get the introduction to various things.

It also depends on the instructor. If you get a good one, do as much as you can, because he/she will know what your like as a diver, and be considerably more helpful than someone who gets to know you over the course.
I've done a handful of dives, but my instructor was so good over the OW that i decided i'd learn so much more from him if i continued my education there than if i continued at another TBC time and date with another instructor.

Get the theory done as close as possible to the date your leaving, remembering stuff over time sucks...

So there you go, options and choices. All up to you.

I do believe though, there is no rule on when you should start AOW. People differ in their abilities and their learning curves differ as well. I've seen plenty of divers who are very good with their buoyancy control and are comfortable in the water after their OW along with many who struggle for a bit afterwards. So, it's best to see how you do in OW and go from there.

As it's been stated, getting OW done at home and then going onto the lovely calm waters of Thailand can make for a pleasant start. However, if you plan on doing all your dives in the future in warm locations, there's nothing wrong with getting your initial training in Thailand. The advantage of doing it this way is you get trained in a relatively easy and comfortable setting and once you have the basics, you can move on to tackle the more difficult aspects of diving.

In terms of weather, I'm not sure about the Andaman side but it won't be too bad on the Gulf side (worst of the Monsoons in the Gulf will be Nov/Dec). If you decide to go to Samui or Koh Tao and want further info, give me a PM closer to your time of departure as I may be there at that time.

Good luck

emerald4ever:
Wow, Can't believe these many responses. incredible community...Thanks so much. I think there is a "clear cut answer" to taking the OW(at least the theory/pool work) at home and I will. Maybe I'll do 1-2 out of the 4 required dives in Canada just to learn the tough conditions, if possible.

Glad to see you made it over here from Fodor's. As you can see, the response here (by virtue of the type of board this is) is much more detailed and comprehensive.

As I stated in my post at Fodor's, I'm in favor of your taking your OW at home and at the minimum doing the book and pool work there. If you plan on doing local diving, I would also recommend doing your checkout dives at home also.

Don't forget to check in at the forum for the regional dive clubs. Very good place to meet potential dive buddies if you'll continue to dive at home.

emerald4ever:
Maybe I'll do 1-2 out of the 4 required dives in Canada just to learn the tough conditions, if possible.
I don't know if it is possible to split the referral like that? BUt anyway, if you were going to do any of them at home, seems like you might as well do all of them there.

Doing your OW in Thailand isn't a bad idea (Phi Phi, Krabi or Phuket are a great option for first timers) - but as discussed you will be missing out on a day or two of good ol' fashioned relaxing time - the other risk is, the diving in Thailand is so good that you may get spoilt thinking it's like that everywhere.

As for me,I did my OW in Sydney and it was really poor vis and conditions and in a boring location (Sydney Harbour, nice and silty), a few years later I dived in Thailand around Phi Phi and I was blown away. This year I did my Advanced with Phi Phi Scuba and it exceeded all expectations... That's the benefit of not doing your first dives in a divers paradise.

However...

At the same time my girlfriend and her friend did their Open Water at Phi Phi (first timers) and they loved it so much they did a heap of extra dives after getting certified.

The advantage I found with Phi Phi Scuba is the Instructor to Student ratio. On both on my Advanced and my Girlfriend's Open Water course, we had one instructor to two students. It made for a very safe, enjoyable diving experience for everyone (although we've never been there in high season the ratio may change) but you're probably more likely to have 8 students per instructor in developed places like Canada, US or Australia etc.

I don't know if I've helped you much, but there are advantages to either of your options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom