virginia beach diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all. I am looking at jobs and possibly relocating to Virginia beach area. I am curious about the diving. It does not seem like any of the shops do charters in the winter and it is all at the local quarry.

I am curious if any winter/year round diving happens and is there any tech diving happening at a regular basis. I would love some locals to fill me in.

Thanks

Hey Jimmy,

I never found any Tech diving outfits in that area. I went up to NJ for that. But to get out and dive some wrecks I went with Lynnhaven Dive Center (LDC) in Virginia Beach. They have mixed reviews though. See: Review Review

On the boat (Miss Lindsey) you'll likely be surrounded by rec. divers. Hopefully it's up and running. And they do require DAN or other similar dive insurance to take the charter boat.

Boat Schedule

Hours drive inland are the tech shops are Virginia Scuba in Manassas and Splash Dive Center in Alexandria, VA

thanks for the info. I really did not see those reviews about that particular shop. I appreciate the info. I have looked at the various shop websites in the area. Most of them are poor about updating their charter info or more likely do not diving in the winter.

Jimmy the only tech trips here are on board Capt JT's boat Underpressure and another which I think is called Ocean Explorer which is captained by Mark Fowler? Dive Quarters on Laskin Rd charters those two boats when they are running. Winter pretty much sucks here for diving. Morehead City is a quick 3 hr run and Olympus runs year round and is the closest good diving to VB in the winter, but even then its hit and miss.

JT's boat is Under Pressure. His site is: Under Pressure Dive Schedule, and most of is trips are based out of NC during the main diving season. Ted Green runs technical dives during the same time period out of Ocean City, MD. His site is: OCDIVER Subheading Goes Here. Mark Fowler brought the Ocean Explorer up from Pompano Beach, FL this past dive season but doubt it will be back in 2012. Lynnhaven is pretty much out of the technical diving business, having and just reconfigured their boat for more recreational stuff. There is a Facebook page for Virginia Beach Technical Divers that is one good source for local events. Basically the local menu includes either the quarries or FL cave diving during the colder months.

Thanks all for your info on this page. I am in fact taking a job the newport news area. I will be relocating around mid June. I have gotten really spoiled over the last 2 years with a deep fresh water lake that I could do tec dives for 40 bucks and gas year round. It was nice.

Bill, it seems I see your name on a lot of the posts I look through. I will be moving to CCR in the next year or so. I would love to continue to pick your brain.

Jimmy
I freaking HATE Facebook. Guess I might have to join to look at that page and join the community.

You really need to dive with JT if you want tech type trips.
His boat is chartered by individuals & they fill spots, 6 only per trip. So you must contact them to see if any space is available.
The boat will already be in Hatteras by June, but there are several trips to the EM Clark, at 240 & an awesome dive, he also has a Monitor trip which is at 240 also.
A lot of trips in the 160 range, Far East Tanker, Manulea & the Malchase in the 200 fsw range.
A couple of good dives the Tarpon at 145 & Proteus at 125 make for some good run times.
He has video of most of these on his website.
Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site
I should mention he has a rule of you needing to do a dive of 160 or less off his boat or do some cave diving with him before you get to do anything past 160.
He has his reasons & I have seen why 1st hand.

He does some serious tech stuff in Va. Beach in the spring & fall, looking at hang #s in the 250 to 350 range along with the Billy Mitchel fleet where the shallow dive is 240 & deep dives run to over 400 fsw.

Nothing wrong with knowing your ability. I just do deep support on 300+ dives.
Most of the trips run in Hatteras are in the 100ft. range. Dixie Arrow, British Splendor & FW Abrams to name a few. Normally with 80 ft of vis & temps in the 70s.

Yeah, I just find it frustrating that few charters will allow you to stay down longer than the average rec diver. Most tech charters are very very deep and all other charters allow low time on site. Guess it is time to increase the training!

---------- Post added April 11th, 2012 at 09:51 AM ----------

Another question for you guys. I am currently using a couple of the old 6351 alloy tanks for my deco tanks. They pass VIP and hydro with eddy current test. Am I going to have trouble getting these filled in Va? My current show in NC has no problems with it. If this is the case, I need to get ride of them before I move.

Jimmy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom