vis in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Going down on Oct 7th for the week. I heard the vis was so so about a month ago. Any updates on it now???

laserdoc:
Going down on Oct 7th for the week. I heard the vis was so so about a month ago. Any updates on it now???
I wouldn't fret it... "So-so" in Bonaire is still excellent (and usually because interesting things are going on, like all the tube sponges spawning together :) )
For a realtime look you can always check out the reefcam...
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I wouldn't fret it... "So-so" in Bonaire is still excellent (and usually because interesting things are going on, like all the tube sponges spawning together :) )
For a realtime look you can always check out the reefcam...
Rick
Rick... Is it already that time of year again for the spawn??
Never seen it. Is it at night??

Already happened. It normally occurs after the September full moon. I'll be there on the 11th, the vis has gotten a lot better over the last few weeks. It look amazing today, but like Rick said lousy vis is still great.

Second spawn is in October, mid-to-end of the week you get there.
Since the Sept. full moon was early, the October spawn may also
be significant.

We head down there on the 9th. Looking forward to some night dives to see coral spawning.

laserdoc:
Rick... Is it already that time of year again for the spawn??
Never seen it. Is it at night??
Coral spawns are this time of year, at night as far as I know. I've seen sponges do their thing in March, in the middle of the day... and I assume they may do it several times a year. It's really quite amazing - the vis can go from 150 to 50 in just a few minutes, and you start to question your own eyes until you see that every tube sponge on the reef looks like a little volcano spewing a cloud of gametes into the water column.
How do they coordinate that?
It is fantastic and wonderful! A true delight!
Rick

emailed Buddy dive yesterday. They said the spawn already happened.They did not say anything about a second spawn the week of the 9th. Hopefully they are wrong.

My wife and I were there 9/2 - 9/9. (It was our 1st time there and we can't wait to get back.)

The visibility varied depending on the dive site, depth, etc. but was never, by any calculation, what I would call "so so".
As a matter of fact, it was absolutely and utterly amazing compared to any of my previous diving experiences.

A small sampling of visibility:
Img_0895.jpg

Imag0395.jpg

Img_0507.jpg

Imag0598.jpg

Img_0699.jpg

Imag0288.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom