Visability defined

What defines the upper limit of visibility?

• Where the object you're looking at begins to fade into the haze/background?

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Where the object you're looking at completely disappears into the haze/background?

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are they defining visibility at the Oasis...does 3 to 5 mean 3 - 5 feet visibility or 3 - 5 inches visibility? :eek:

Hard to know when trying to call ahead before making the drive and they say visibility is 3 to 5.

Like Green_Manelishi I also measure distance in body lengths. I say from eyes to the end of my fins is about 2m, but then diving locally, being able to make out a diver at 3 to 4 body lengths vis is about the best I ever see.:D

I relate my vis to where objects completely disapear because I am an optimist. I would rather dive 10 ft vis than 5 ft!

Up here in New England if we can see our buddy entire body clearly, it's a GREAT day and we go nuts when we can see over 15'. I went last week and couldn't see the my fins:) (I still got 5 lobsters so I didn't care).

Scott

I'm sure we are talking about horizontal vis, but often horizontal and vertical are different especially in the ocean. I consider vis until things just begin to get fuzzy and dissapear.

I guess I dive in 1-3' vis all the time:wink:

When an object is just close enough that I can see it, I consider that the extreme limit of visibility. Typically, I'll use something like a clam shell or lightly colored starfish for my estimate, as I'm not in the habit of diving with large white discs marked with an X. :D

and I'm glad the question was asked...

How do I do I gage vis?

I ask 3 people who were on the dive and take the average... And, that is frequently a very 'extrapolated' number.

Back
Top Bottom