Visability defined

What defines the upper limit of visibility?

• Where the object you're looking at begins to fade into the haze/background?

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Where the object you're looking at completely disappears into the haze/background?

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one the local lakes as my guiding definition: the vis there is about an arm's length on a good day, a bad day is about 0 inches. So, the first question on your mind is "Why?" I figure vis has to be better than that in most places. I don't write down a quantitative measure (ie 10-15 feet), but rather an adjective or descriptor that puts a visual in my head as to how much (more qualitative).

Oh, and the "Why?".....well, let me tell you something: if you can master navigation in conditions like that, the bright clear blue waters of the carribbean is pretty cake. :wink:

When I did my Flower Gardens trip last Sept., it was a NOAA research deal because of the coral spawning. We pulled out the disk each day to log the "official" vis for the statistitions (sp?). Back on the boat everybody took a turn trying to guess what it was. The closest was off by 35' - guessing 120' to everyone else's < 100' - the actual was 155'. That's why I always stick a great,good, fair or poor along with my guess in my log.

I had wondered about that - maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow!

Thanks

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
Mike you are asking one of my favorite questions.

I guess one explaination I have that I like is what some people mean when they give a range.

10-15 feet. Ten feet I know what it is. 15 feet its gone

Tom

I would go as far as this to say that between the range stated is when the object goes from a positive ID to a blended item in the background.

Tom what do you call that before ten feet?

I'm with jmsdiver

Night - well pretty obvious
None - can't read the console when I put it in front of my face
Very Poor - when I can see the console held at arms length
Poor - I can see my buddy a couple of metres away
Good - I can see the wreck before I feel it!
Great - guess round about 10 metres
Excellent - beyond

Until recently excellent was only reserved for holidays but now it is local diving conditions. I guess the LDS knew I was hooked as when I came out of the mud pit on my o/w (where we pretty much had to hold hands to know where our buddy was) I had a big grin!!

Jonathan

the "biggest" problem is that most people cannot accurately
gestimate distance on dry land. Place them underwater and
they are WAY off.

I've lost count of the number of times I entered the water
after being told "oh, vis is 25-30 feet" and I could barely
see a diver two body lengths away.

I take whatever I am told and cut it in half. If someone says
"vis is 20 feet" I prepare for 10.

Here in the NW I define vis by how far I can make out objects. At the point where I can tell what something is more or less I guess the distance. It's such a subjective thing that I hate to really guess it. At times I have to define it in inches other times in feet. Most of my diving is food gathering and if I can spearfish it's usally 6' or better.

Scott

Good question!

That may be the most asked question from open water students when they start filling out logbooks for the first time.

I always tell them that "visability is as far as you can see something clearly".

Thanks, Ken

Encouraged by NetDoc's reference - I made myself one of those Secci Discs [Exit an old frisbee!] - and tried it today in Aquarena Springs.

I DEFINITELY confirmed Greens comment - but bass ackwards -

I measured 90m feet today - after an open water class, but before I started pulling weeds!
In my logbook - I'd been recording 20 to 60 feet - and today would have been probably 30 or 40 had I not measured.

Next try - Lake Travis, where I normally call it 5-15 feet - betcha it'll be actually 20-50!

Interesting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom