Visaya Dive Safaris

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keesmon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good morning,
We (2 divers) are taking a two week trip out of Cebu in February, and are looking at dive safaris for part or all of the time. We are there from February 16 to March 2nd.
We're in touch with Cebu Fun Divers, as their safari from Moalboal to Sipalay seems perfect for us, but the week we need is being held by a travel agent until July. We may be able to get on at that point if they haven't sold all the spots.
Abyss has a trip that leaves the 9th, so they're out.
Seaquest seems to only take charters, and liveaboards are out of our price range for this trip.
Does anyone know of any other safaris that I'm overlooking?

I really like the idea of getting in a good amount of dives, and travelling on our own between resorts seems to keep the dive numbers way down compared to dive safaris.

If we can't find a safari, we'll probably do some kind of Moalboal, Malapascua, and Dauin/ Dumaguete route on our own or through a booker.

Anyone who's been there or is there have any advice for us?

Thanks in advance,
Kees

Kees

We saw safari boats from Easy Diving in Sipalay once when we were at Apo....they looked good and large and there are loads of advantages of doing a trip like this. We often go diving in February and I have seen special offers advertised...I’m not sure if this is the same company as the two you mention.

We have dived this area , have not been to Sipalay but everybody we know who has been there loves it. It’s very easy to get to Dumaguete from Cebu , there are lots of flights. There are also many ferries which we have always found very reliable. The areas yo7 mention all have excellent diving.

One area that you haven’t mentioned is Southern Leyte. There is now at least one fast ferry per day from Cebu to a port town thirty minutes or so from the Sogod Bay Area, taking three hours. It has fabulous diving and the very best whaleshark interaction imaginable. The season starts in November until about May. This year they have had virtually 100 per cent success. The reefs are wonderful and there are loads of fish , as well as a fantastic night dive. We have stayed twice with Southern Leyte Divers. Peters Dive Resort also gets great reviews.

Hope this helps a bit !

That's great advice.
Easy diving is partners with Cebu Fun Divers. Their safari goes from Sipalay to Moalboal or reverse.
We started a week ago thinking we'd be doing a trip based out of Manila, going to Puerto Galera and other places, but it has morphed into this Cebu trip, that looks a lot more manageable travel wise than we had originally planned. Tickets are purchased.
Now if it wasn't 10 months away.....

Kees

We saw safari boats from Easy Diving in Sipalay once when we were at Apo....they looked good and large and there are loads of advantages of doing a trip like this. We often go diving in February and I have seen special offers advertised...I’m not sure if this is the same company as the two you mention.

We have dived this area , have not been to Sipalay but everybody we know who has been there loves it. It’s very easy to get to Dumaguete from Cebu , there are lots of flights. There are also many ferries which we have always found very reliable. The areas yo7 mention all have excellent diving.

One area that you haven’t mentioned is Southern Leyte. There is now at least one fast ferry per day from Cebu to a port town thirty minutes or so from the Sogod Bay Area, taking three hours. It has fabulous diving and the very best whaleshark interaction imaginable. The season starts in November until about May. This year they have had virtually 100 per cent success. The reefs are wonderful and there are loads of fish , as well as a fantastic night dive. We have stayed twice with Southern Leyte Divers. Peters Dive Resort also gets great reviews.

Hope this helps a bit !

They might have cancellation and has space available. The boat should be able to take an extra passenger and the resort should be also able to do that.
Just enquire.

They might have cancellation and has space available. The boat should be able to take an extra passenger and the resort should be also able to do that.
Just enquire.
Thanks Centrals. I inquired, but their response was that they only take private groups. No add on passengers.

Have you tried to ask for the travel agent that has it booked? Savedra is who we went with but I’m sure it’s the same boats. There is a safari out of Palawan....el info to coron....good choice if you like wrecks but if you like reefs, I suggest you contact savedra out of moalboal. They can help you book transfers and pull together a similar itin if they can’t book you on the safari. Malapascua and Moalboal are long bus rides but it’s a good way to see the country. Thresher Shark Divers, JT as the guide and Ernie at Savedra are great guides. If you can dive Apo Island (from Dauin or from the island) it’s worth it. For something other than diving, Siquijor is worth a trip. Awesome place to rent a motorbike...easy driving and lots to see and Do topside. Diving is good too but only did one due to ear issues.

Have you tried to ask for the travel agent that has it booked? Savedra is who we went with but I’m sure it’s the same boats. There is a safari out of Palawan....el info to coron....good choice if you like wrecks but if you like reefs, I suggest you contact savedra out of moalboal. They can help you book transfers and pull together a similar itin if they can’t book you on the safari. Malapascua and Moalboal are long bus rides but it’s a good way to see the country. Thresher Shark Divers, JT as the guide and Ernie at Savedra are great guides. If you can dive Apo Island (from Dauin or from the island) it’s worth it. For something other than diving, Siquijor is worth a trip. Awesome place to rent a motorbike...easy driving and lots to see and Do topside. Diving is good too but only did one due to ear issues.
What a great sense of timing! I got an email yesterday morning from Cebu Fun Divers saying that there is room for us on the boat and they are booking us this week! Thanks for looking for alternatives. It looks like we have a pretty sweet two week itinerary now. Three days Moalboal. Six days on safari. One travel day and 5 days in Malapascua. We're pretty psyched.

What a great sense of timing! I got an email yesterday morning from Cebu Fun Divers saying that there is room for us on the boat and they are booking us this week! Thanks for looking for alternatives. It looks like we have a pretty sweet two week itinerary now. Three days Moalboal. Six days on safari. One travel day and 5 days in Malapascua. We're pretty psyched.

You will have a blast! 5 days in Malapascua will give you time to do threshers and if you get a chance to dive their special trips to the two islands (can’t recall the names) but absolutely worth it. We are currently in the process of planning our trip so maybe we’ll run into you guys. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom