Vision Correction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have prescription lenses for my dive mask but changed over to contact lenses. Whats your prescription, if its close to mine I have some lenses Im not using!

cannon_guy:
Consider that if your mask model is discontinued, you may have to start over with a new mask when your prescription changes.

Well at that point I'm into new glasses for topside so I just see the mask as another "frame". And the price of a mask is not at all out of line with many eye glass frames. Unless I've timed a mask purchase and the next eye exam badly and have a major change I figure it's just time to upgrade my mask.

I realize that for some divers getting a great fittig mask is a PITA and once you have it you hate to let go of it. In that case I suggest keeping up with what is on the dive shop racks so you'll be in tune with what you want next time in case old faithful has gone off the market.

Pete

stiffany:
This may be a stupid question, but what do people with nearsightedness do in order to dive? I've dived a few times before, but in the subsequent years, my ability to see clearly more than 10 feet in front of me has gotten rather pathetic.

Thanks!

I wear soft contacts when I dive. I wear the ones you can keep in your eyes for 30 days; 24/7. They don't work for everyone however. I came upon this website you might take a look at. www.HydroOptix.com. This mask is made for people with nearsightedness. You might find what you need with this company; if you do post it here so we all can "see" it.
LOL

Happy Diving!!!!

Think contact lens in sea water.

Think Petri Dish. All that lovely biomass in the ocean soaking into a PERMEABLE lense.

Use disposables and bin them after the dive.

This is what I have taken to doing. It's great.

Course if you are happy to have sea water on your contacts, when they tell you not to even wash them in tap water....

david.tolan:
Think contact lens in sea water.

Course if you are happy to have sea water on your contacts, when they tell you not to even wash them in tap water....

I agree that sea water on the contacts is not acceptable. I generally rinse my contacts in eyewash solution after each dive. This seems to work for me. It hasn't compromised my vision and saves a little money on contacts.

Happy Diving!!!!!!

i'll third or fourth the suggestion to look into lasek/lasik.

someone said earlier that lasIk wasn't an option for them because of their high diopters - i don't know much about all this, but lasEk might be. the little group presentation i went to before the appointment last year said that they could correct -12-ish satisfactorally and possibly up to -14 depending on astigmatism and the person's corneal thickness.

lasEk doesn't make a flap - the correction is done on the whole top layer. the discomfort afterwards lasts longer and the healing takes a bit longer, but i am 20/15 & totally satisfied!

I wish I could wear contacts, but I can't.

So I'll second Seavision for high quality Rx masks.

http://www.seavisionusa.com/

They come with clear lenses also, my preference.

Chad

Chad

I too have prescription lens in my mask. I was pleasantly surprised how many masks had the presriptive options. I had my mask in a day and a half. Only hard part is getting to the waters edge without falling flat on my face:)

I was the person with the high prescription. I went in and consulted with one of the top facilities in my area (a large urban centre) and while they were willing to do it because I have thick corneas they were not encouraging about whether I would end up not needing glasses following one or more operations. Needless to say it didn't sound worth the money or risk.

There are a number of options for anyone whose eyes are less than perfect.

I used contacts, no problems for many years. Infection of the contacts is not a big issue if you are doing a daily sterilization routine. Dry eyes was never an issue for me, since I was surrounded by saline at all times :wink:

I also have perscription masks. Perscription masks tend to cost less than perscription glasses. Perscriptions come is standard diopters, for those who can use them. One thing I would suggest is that if you are going the perscription route, is that you look at the TUSA Liberator mask, or equivelent. Genesis makes one called the Caicos, Sea Vision has it, as do a number of other companies. I say this because, the lenses are interchangeable in these clone masks allowing the lenses to long outlive the mask frames.

BTW Sea Vision also made/makes a 'Gauge Reader' mask, no prescription, but bifocals built in. My recommendation is to NOT get the tinted masks, stay with clear.

I finally went the LASIK route- 20/15, 20/20. Great move. I was one of the first, made my appointment the day the FDA approved same day-both eyes. Surgery on Friday, back to diving on Monday. (I do about 700 dives a year) The eye surgeon is a diver also, PM me if you want contact information. For those who are not LASEK candidates, there is also lens implant possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom