Visiting England In December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrian Kelland:
Marvel,

Re 3 Jan;

The British Museum is not in Kensington, but Bloomsbury - you could loose valuable time crossing central London twice. Museums in Kensington are Science Museum (big steam engines and machines) Geological Museum (rocks) and Victoria and Albert (fashions, ceramics). All within a short distance of each other. But not a patch on the British Museum for sheer breadth. The Chinese Terracotta Army will be exhibited while you are in town. The museums are free to enter, but some of the special exhibitions may have a charge (£10-15 ish).

Tips - it is posible to waste time using the tube (Underground trains). The map is schematic - it can sometime be quicker to walk than use the tube, especially is changes are required. You'll see more too. I've just been back to London after a long break (10 years) and it now seems cheap to eat - all you can eat for under £10. Plus drinks. All the usual 'crap in a bap' stuff too. Drink real ale - but don't drive if you do.

Have a good time.

Adrian

Thanks for the tips! I don't think she has necessarily listed things in the order of the day- only the day's tortu....er, events. :D

cdiver2:
We Will Rock You. It was hard to get tickets but that was last December.

Hmmmm.... I bet that would be awesome. Spamalot too. I'm sure we'll be talking over the shows more. The only one set in stone is Wicked- tickets are already bought. :fruit:

theres some great castles in england, make sure you see Warrick castle (i used to live just down the road a bit from it). They intrest me but maybe thats because i love history and im a mason by trade. Im heading back to england myself in dec with the wife to see my family.

As a one time native of the damp isle.
Might I suggest a tour round London on an open top bus when you are in town.
Not to good an idea granted when it is raining mind.
So the terracota soldiers are in town,I will also be home for the holidays after a trip to Florida in mid november till mid december,I will be going to see them its a lot nearer than China.
As another poster says sometimes its quicker to walk than take the tube you willl see more up top than underground.
The Tower of London is also worth a look,home of the crown jewels,beefeaters and ravens.
A trip down the Thames on a sight seeing boat would give you some water infusion and a different view of the city.

No St. Paul's Cathedral ??? Or the 'London Eye' ?? Or Camden Market ?

I've been on the London Eye twice....I LOVE it!!

Attachments

• Ken on the London Eye.JPG
    Ken on the London Eye.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 59
unfortunately i'm heading back here the day you arrive in the UK - but I'm sure as long as you bring warm clothes with you, you'll have a blast.

in London, as people say, often walking can be good - the tube may be packed with people, and sometimes the stations are really close together or there's an interesting street/area that you walk though (tube map doesn't really give you an indication of how far it is between stops, so you may want to check a "topside" map as well !) - get the day pass for the tube for great value (but you sort of need to know which "zones" you may want to visit that day)

I always like to pop over to Covent Garden - there's always some Street entertainment, along with bars, shops etc. - quite a cool place.

unfortunately i'm heading back here the day you arrive in the UK - but I'm sure as long as you bring warm clothes with you, you'll have a blast.

in London, as people say, often walking can be good - the tube may be packed with people, and sometimes the stations are really close together or there's an interesting street/area that you walk though (tube map doesn't really give you an indication of how far it is between stops, so you may want to check a "topside" map as well !) - get the day pass for the tube for great value (but you sort of need to know which "zones" you may want to visit that day)

I always like to pop over to Covent Garden - there's always some Street entertainment, along with bars, shops etc. - quite a cool place.

Drat, Stu!!! It would have been pretty cool to travel all the way to the UK to meet up with someone I've dived & hung out with!

Still not doing the London Eye...)

Warwick Castle is definitely on the list, as is Kenilworth. Still trying to find a B&B for that day & the next in Cambridge. Quite a bad time of year to be traveling around, I think.

Hmmmm.... I bet that would be awesome. Spamalot too. I'm sure we'll be talking over the shows more. The only one set in stone is Wicked- tickets are already bought. :fruit:

Marvel,
Spamalot would be great. When Mike and I were there, we caught "The Complete Works of Shakespear" show. Great fun!

Drat, Stu!!! It would have been pretty cool to travel all the way to the UK to meet up with someone I've dived & hung out with!

Still not doing the London Eye...)

Warwick Castle is definitely on the list, as is Kenilworth. Still trying to find a B&B for that day & the next in Cambridge. Quite a bad time of year to be traveling around, I think.

This doe' not sound like the lady I dived with :D
Go on...DO IT

Attachments

• London-eye-1.jpg
    London-eye-1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 57
  • London-eye-2.jpg
    London-eye-2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 52
  • London-eye-3.jpg
    London-eye-3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 50