Visiting Japan... what's there to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, where is your trip report?

hi gonzalve,

me wanna read ur trip report, too!
u saw many many HHs?
show us ur experience in japanese water?

ken chung ar
frantic DOLPHIN diver

OK, I apologize, as I've been remiss in writing my trip report on Mikomoto. And for this, I know I should be :whack:

Anyway, I won't bother you with 7 hour flight to Tokyo, or days in office, so we'll skip right to the weekend.

Friday night, took the Shinkansen out to Atami, and was met by Jim from JUE. We also met up with the 3rd diver of our group, Yann. From there, we stopped off at the stack to pick up some bits of gear (they're fully loaded if you're flying in from overseas). Then off to Mikomoto by van. We finally arrived at the minshuku (Japanese bed-and-breakfast) just before midnight, and got some sleep.

Next morning, after a lovely breakfast, a quick 5 mins drive to the shop, and getting all the gear sorted out. Once done, off to the boat, which I have to say was sooo cool, but more on that later. Our boat on Saturday was actually really empty, only about 10-15 people, which is small by this boat's standard.

Anyway, a quick 20 mins ride out to the island, and we're ready to get in the water. Now, sooo cool for those of us who are not used to the dive platform (see pic)... it lowers you right into the water, which if you have a camera or video housing (which I did) is really nice.

First Dive: water temp about 22 degrees C, which is OK in a 5mm full. Saw eels (so many lost count) and lobsters (also all over the place). Weird, no one is interested in taking any bugs... oh well. Note: the profile on these dives is really square! Down to 25 - 35m, and you start your dive across the bottom, looking for all the little things and nice fishies :bogey: , and after about 30 mins (which was the requested time) you ascend. All very nice, neat, orderly... ie Japanese.

Second Dive: much the same as dive #1, with us diving more on the back side of the island. Unfortunately, we didn't have any real current to speak of on either dive, and thus never made it out into the deep blue to search out the Hammerheads. But still very fun.

Out of water: spent the afternoon on the beach at Hungry's (local joint), just enjoying the sun and talking about... what else? diving. :D

Sunday: we opted to be on the earlier boat, and thus headed out by about 8:30. Very calm morning. Had 2 very neat dives, although a little chilly on the second one (19C down at 38m), but still really cool.

Note: if you wanna see lots and lots of eels, this is a place to go. And, they're out of the cracks in the wall, so for pics or vid, a really nice setting.

Considering that we were diving no more than 24 hrs after a Typhoon, the viz was actually not that bad: Saturday about 8+m, and on Sunday 10-15m, but you gota keep your eyes peeled :cyborg: .

Overall: had a lot of fun, didn't see any Hammerheards, met some really cool people. A very nice way to spend a weekend in Japan.

:karate: Will definitely do it again, possibly on my next trip to Japan in Oct/Nov.

:jaws:

Gonzalve:
OK, I apologize, as I've been remiss in writing my trip report on Mikomoto.
Overall: had a lot of fun, didn't see any Hammerheards, met some really cool people. A very nice way to spend a weekend in Japan.
Will definitely do it again, possibly on my next trip to Japan in Oct/Nov.
:jaws:

hi gonzalve,

thank u for ur nice report! am sorry to hear that u actually saw no HHs in mikomoto, but haym such is life. i saw a HH quite close june this year (p/s see an attached pic).

if u come in nov or dec, think about going down to yonaguni. it's even more adrenalin-driven experience: big schools of HHs and ancient UW ruins!

Hey Ken,
Actually, one HH was spotted from the boat.

I also had a close encounter with a Mejiro Same, pretty big one too. He and I really startled each other when we came around the same pinnacle from opposite directions and found ourselves momentarily face-to-face.

Back
Top Bottom