Visiting OH Frequently

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a project that will have me visiting OH frequently for the next 13 months and I'd like to make a weekend layover or 2 for some diving and to hopefully meet up with a few of you. My business will have me flying into Columbus and I'll be in Lewis Center.

What are the good spots within a reasonable drive and what sort of season do you enjoy? Of course I'll be on my own nickel for the weekend and could stay anywhere.

Pete

Hey Pete, Lewis Center is only a couple miles from me. Give me a call when you're in town and I'll be happy to tell you all about wonderful Ohio diving. OK, it's not wonderful, but sure is fun for quarry diving.

Be sure and hit Gilboa. It's one of my favorite Midwest quarries. Really one of the best dive quarries around.

As far as season, many of us dive all year long. I don't ice dive (yet), but as long as the water is liquid, I'm diving.

My wife and I just spent the past weekend in Columbus. My wife ran in the Columbus Marathon and I was there for moral support. It's really a nice city. I'd like to get back and see more. We stayed in the Short North arts district. A very shall I say interesting area.

Not nearly as "interesting" now as it was in the 70's and early 80's when the drinking age was 18 and on high street from 5th to 25th or so there were probably 200 or more different bars! It was a great time to be in college. What I remember of it anyway. I lost 1980 except for about 3 weeks.

What's your definition of "reasonable drive"? The nice thing about Ohio is the proximity to everything from quarries to Great Lakes to Florida springs (a 12 hour drive gets you a lot of choices :wink: ). You HAVE to come dive Gilboa while you're here, let us know when you're coming because I would LOVE to meet you!
Ber :lilbunny:

Be sure and hit Gilboa. It's one of my favorite Midwest quarries. Really one of the best dive quarries around.

As far as season, many of us dive all year long. I don't ice dive (yet), but as long as the water is liquid, I'm diving.

My wife and I just spent the past weekend in Columbus. My wife ran in the Columbus Marathon and I was there for moral support. It's really a nice city. I'd like to get back and see more. We stayed in the Short North arts district. A very shall I say interesting area.

How did your wife do? Is she sore?

I ran the Columbus yesterday also. What a great day for a run. I only did the half marathon though. 7:30 mile (one hour 38 minutes). If you run the Columbus next year, stay in German village instead. LOTs of homemade beer and not as "refined" as the North Short.

What's your definition of "reasonable drive"? The nice thing about Ohio is the proximity to everything from quarries to Great Lakes to Florida springs (a 12 hour drive gets you a lot of choices :wink: ). You HAVE to come dive Gilboa while you're here, let us know when you're coming because I would LOVE to meet you!

Same here Ber!

Actually I'm coming out again in about a week but it's planned as a whirlwind trip. I'll probably hold off until late spring 08 to make it a dive outing but we'll see.

Pete

Hey Pete, Lewis Center is only a couple miles from me. Give me a call when you're in town and I'll be happy to tell you all about wonderful Ohio diving. OK, it's not wonderful, but sure is fun for quarry diving.

I've been in a few New England quarry's. No it's not the Caribbean but it is a different environment and anytime you can get neutral it's a treat. I'll keep you in mind.

Pete

I've been in a hew New England quarry's. No it's not the Caribbean but it is a different environment and anytime you can get neutral it's a treat. I'll keep you in mind.

Pete

Hi Pete,

If you get bored while here maybe we can talk about diving over dinner some evening. But if you're like I was when traveling there wasn't much time during the day and when evening rolled I was too worn out to do much.

R.

Hi Pete,

If you get bored while here maybe we can talk about diving over dinner some evening. But if you're like I was when traveling there wasn't much time during the day and when evening rolled I was too worn out to do much.

R.

Oh! Oh! Me too, me too! There has to be someplace on the east end/outskirts we could meet that wouldn't leave me driving for 2 hours. (I live in Brookville)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom