Visiting Rancho Palos Verdes Sept 25-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murdrcycle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be accompanying my wife to a work function. Since she will be working I plan on trying to squeeze in a few dives. Does anyone have any suggestions i.e. boat dive vs. shore dive, dive ops, dive groups, etc? I plan on renting a bc, wetsuit, tanks and weights and will bring the rest.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

It would be helpful to know your cold water experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is lots of great shore diving in Palos Verdes. Most sites require hooved feet to get to, but there are a few relatively moderate sites. Marineland, Vet's, Cabrillo Beach and White Point don't require any great elevation loss to reach the water. Check out my book on Amazon's preview for some of the sites.

The Giant Stride out of Marina del Rey visits P.V. most weekends. You could also take a dive boat to Catalina from San Pedro or Long Beach.
Visibility is highly variable around Palos Verdes. In the last year I have had blue water with well over fifty feet visibility less than a mile off Redondo Beach, and last weekend we had less than ten feet at the same site. Water temps range from the high 40s at times to the mid 60s. Offshore sites seem to stay at 51° year round. It's usually about ten degrees warmer in Laguna Beach and Catalina.
Depending on where you will be staying, there are dive shops to rent gear In San Pedro, Redondo Beach, Long Beach and Culver City. DiveVet's, a local group makes beach dives at Veteran's Park (Vet's) on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings and Marineland (Terranea Resort) on Sunday morning.

PhilsReef3-4.jpg

PhilsReef4-3.jpg

PhilsReef5-2.jpg

PointVicente22_zps4ddb9d13.jpg

LandingCraft16_zps65a03291.jpg

NeptuneCove9.jpg

HawthorneReef13.jpg

PalosVerdes2_zpse64a522a.jpg

Avalon9-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom