visiting seattle from no calif

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gonphishing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello. Im a avid scuba diver here in no California. I mostly dive the Sonoma coast. I will be going to Seattle the last week of May to visit my son. I was hoping to do some diving in the area. I think Ill bring my kayaks. I also enjoy bottom fishing and free diving for abalone. I also spearfish. Looking to find a good spot for some fishing and diving in the Seattle area. Remote locations with camp sights might be nice. Please provide as much info as possible as I don't know the area at all. Might even be interested in live boards or fishing charters for a small group of 3. Hope to here from avid spear fishing junkies. thanks.

Ok . well I don't have to shoot any of your fish, and I see you have a lot of different species here in the seattle area. and its not often you get to see the giant pacific octopus down here. and the stone fish. WOW. we do see wolf eels here in sonoma. cant wait to see what else you have up there. maybe just a live a board or charter hitting some of the better diving in seattle. or shore diving. looks like you guys do most of your diving during slack tide. I was thinking of posting some of my favorite diving here in calif. there is a thread on diving the pacific north west. would anybody like to know what's hot and what's not down here? thanks.

I think you didn't get any answers because there aren't a lot of spearfishermen in the area. If you want some information on simply diving in the Seattle area, we can help! There is excellent shore diving in a lot of places, although the ones I know are all pretty urban (not campground-type areas). If you go up to the San Juan Islands, there is also good diving, and more camping. There are boat charters that go out routinely, both in the central and south Sound and up in the islands.

Where in the area is your son? That would help us give you some ideas.

For "remote camping" and using your (sea?) kayaks, you'll probably want to go into the San Juan Islands and base out of Orcas Island or San Juan Island (Friday Harbor).

I don't know the fishing scene (either line or spear) at all since I don't fish. (Query, how can anyone fish/eat fish after spending time with "the little fishies" in their bedrooms/living rooms/bathrooms?)

Regarding when we dive, depends on the area (how current sensitive) and whether live boat or shore. Some of the best dive spots are "current agnostic" while others are very current sensitive.

Look at the Orca Bait threads and see what interests you and let us know.

thank you for your responses.I have been a fisherman most all my life. fishing all types of water. do a lot of catch and release. I also have a ba as a wild life tec. I studied hatchery operations. I also have a culinary degree. soo. put 1 and 1 together and whamo!!! Im a contractor now. I call it selective harvesting. I have immense respect for nature and the critters that habitat our planet. but I also love to hunt. I can ask the same ting about all the masses buying chicken or fish at the market. It all depends on what your buying into. life feeds on life. Ill be going to the channel Islands of the coast of santa Barbara here in a few weeks. these charters are live boards and provide some of the best diving in california. popular for micro , photog, and fishing. lobster mecca. it cost from 300 to 600. for a 2-3 day trips. http://www.truthaquatics.com/hiking.htm. a must dive in calif. and a good spot to see the state fish the garibaldi and lots of sheep's head. I don't care for monterey much at all. its where the fair weather divers go for the most part. put there are some nice spots down near carmel . kind boring for me after diving the Sonoma coast. we really got it good here to. and most people in calif don't dive sonoma coast. rugged coast line mostly all rock. abalone or free diving is popular here.

my son lives in seattle. and I should be up there for a week, end of May till the start of June. I was looking at a place called keystone jetty at fort casey? on the web? sounded ok? but im not sold on anything. maybe a day charter would be neat to get to know the area a bit. and a few shore or kayak dives. so kayak diving isn't big out there? hum . its so fun and you can extend your range so much farther. and its clean. Kayaking is new to me. and think it's the future with me and diving. better for the environment. I also dive from my boston whaler. did I here something about a shark with 6 gill rakes? up that way? thanks, Brian

well, to be honest. I have about 6 credits to fill before I graduated with that wildlife degree. some of the best times of my life were spent in quincy attending FRC.

:shocked: orca Island!!! gulp!!! I better bring 2 suits. guess its not so different than diving around here with the whites. I know there are some spots @ here especially during cretin times, that we don't dive, or only the insane dive. how about up there? orca island. yehaa! sounds like a fine place to check out. will the orcas be around in may / june?

There are orcas in the Sound, but it's unusual to see them while diving. One sometimes gets a treat from a boat, though.

The Keystone Jetty is a wonderful dive, loaded with life, but it is VERY current sensitive and needs to be dived on a small exchange and at slack. Otherwise, you can easily be swept into the ferry channel, which is a bad thing.

Bandito Charters runs out of the South Sound on weekends, and is a good dive op. A smaller boat is Teal Water Charters, with whom we went out Saturday. That's a very nice boat and a professional operation. There are also charter operators in the San Juans.

There is a lot of shore diving in the greater Seattle area, ranging from the Edmonds Underwater Park (which is a marine reserve -- no fishing) to the Coves at Alki, which aren't known for tremendous amounts of marine life, but are diveable in all tide/current conditions, to Three Tree Point and Redondo, and then down into the Tacoma area with Day Island and Titlow . . . The list goes on. Really, where you will want to dive will depend a lot on where in the Seattle area you are staying, because our traffic is horrendous and it's just easier to go dive someplace where you don't have to spend an hour and a half getting there.

yes the address is Lakeridge Dr. S. Seattle, WA 98178

this is a lot to take in. thank you.
dive sights near there would be helpfull

I liked what dpthdiver posted. especially the campground. sounds like Sonoma coast without the abundant octo's.

Lawson Bluff on the western side of Sucia Island N48 31.835 W122 47.294 Has tons of gigantic boulders w/ swimthroughs and outstanding vis. Lots of crab and nudies.

Sares Head western point on Fidalgo Island (look for a giant bird poop covered rock) N48 25.532 W122 40.489. A good place to find pacific king crab and vertical walls. Good fish life and a nice spot for octos.

Cypress Point eastern side of the point by the campground N48 34.089 W122 40.065. On the southern end of the point is a vast "condo" area with numerous octos. At the 85 foot mark heading north there is a cave about 10-15 deep that is home to some huge lingcod.

Back
Top Bottom