Visual communication device in corner of mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Awright, somebody here has to know about this. I recently saw mention of a new diver-to-diver communication device that fits on the outside corner of one's mask and signals the corresponding device (on the other diver's mask) with a couple of flashing leds that you can see in the upper corner of your vision field. I don't remember where I saw this, but it was not long ago. Anybody here know about this? And if so, opinions? Thanx- Woody

Awright, somebody here has to know about this. I recently saw mention of a new diver-to-diver communication device that fits on the outside corner of one's mask and signals the corresponding device (on the other diver's mask) with a couple of flashing leds that you can see in the upper corner of your vision field. I don't remember where I saw this, but it was not long ago. Anybody here know about this? And if so, opinions? Thanx- Woody

Hi Woodman...

I happen to be part of the development team that made the "Buddy-Link" device and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the device.

:side note: We are working on getting a forum in the "Manufacturers" forum.

steve@affinitydevices.com

If you want something that uses LED's try an LED can light for signaling.

:rofl3: ifn your wording it sounds like the OP is addicted to the LEDs and would go with anything having LEDs :D

... made the "Buddy-Link" device

I have seen people market a lot of stupid junk for SCUBA, but I think this is pretty clever and has some overall redeeming value.

It will quite obviously soon be bought-up by a major mask/SCUBA manufacturer and will be available as part of a built-in mask device.

Downside? You only have a choice of "two different signals", but hey- that's more expressive than just banging on your tank. And it does give you some sort of "distance" indicator that works up to maybe 100'. See http://www.affinitydevices.com/B-Link_User_Manual_Rev_9b_18May09_a.pdf

I do agree with RJP though. Most of my dive buddies, all I do is use a flashlight and tik-tik-tik against my faceplate, or with any Diveguide DM, I just snap my carabiner link. This gadget would work well with signaling my wife, as taking hand grenades diving has become problematic since TSA.

If it appeared at DEMA, no one noticed it, at least not in the realm of Certified Internet Divers.

I like where this device is headed. Buddy-Link: Connecting Divers... In the Blink Of An Eye

Wow! I thought tank bangers were the ultimate unneccessary item. But it turns out you can pay $350 for a silent version.:rofl3:

I have seen people market a lot of stupid junk for SCUBA, but I think this is pretty clever and has some overall redeeming value.

It will quite obviously soon be bought-up by a major mask/SCUBA manufacturer and will be available as part of a built-in mask device.

Downside? You only have a choice of "two different signals", but hey- that's more expressive than just banging on your tank. And it does give you some sort of "distance" indicator that works up to maybe 100'. See http://www.affinitydevices.com/B-Link_User_Manual_Rev_9b_18May09_a.pdf

I do agree with RJP though. Most of my dive buddies, all I do is use a flashlight and tik-tik-tik against my faceplate, or with any Diveguide DM, I just snap my carabiner link. This gadget would work well with signaling my wife, as taking hand grenades diving has become problematic since TSA.

If it appeared at DEMA, no one noticed it, at least not in the realm of Certified Internet Divers.

I like where this device is headed. Buddy-Link: Connecting Divers... In the Blink Of An Eye

Thanks for your input! Just a couple of clarifications.

There is a third, "Public Access" signal that can reach all devices even after mating the units into their respective groups.

I.e.
Group 1 consisting of 6 divers mates their Buddy-Links together on one private channel.
Group 2 consisting of 10 divers mates their Buddy-Links together on a seperate channel.

With one or two button taps, Group 1 would only signal within their group and Group 2 would only signal within their group.

However with the third signal, anyone can signal anyone else no matter which group their Buddy-Link was mated too.

Apart from the signals, the device has tested and worked at ranges much greater than 100ft. However, we would not recommend this since these distances are much greater than you should be from your dive buddy.

Finally, while not mentioned, the Buddy-Link has been pressure tested and works down to 500ft.

Wow! I thought tank bangers were the ultimate unneccessary item. But it turns out you can pay $350 for a silent version.:rofl3:

Sorry, the Buddy-Link is not a silent device. Each visual signal is accompanied by an audible tone, or melody which can be turned on or off depending on the users preference.

P.S. Nice motorcycle! I primarily ride an 07' GSXR 750 for the track and an 03' SV650 on the street.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom