Visual communication device in corner of mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
this is cool :wink:

It will be my "Product of the month" in our March newsletter (goes out to ~7,000 users - so far).

Send me a couple of samples and I will add it to our scuba diving simulator.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Alberto,

Thank you. I am working on getting someone in touch with you and you should hear from us shortly.

Ok, I'm gonna try and constructively ask what problem this product solves that cannot be solved for free with proper diving skills? I am interested in a genuine hypothetical situation.

I realize that the developers must have been working hard on this and they must see a good use/market for it. So far they have been very graceful in absorbing some of the snide remarks (mine included) so why not give it a fair discussion?

As much as I am not a fan of tankbangers it seems that they can accomplish the same thing in an emergency for a few dollars. What am I missing here?

Everyone agrees that good buddy skills are the best solution to the problem, but any tool can be used for good or ill. There's nothing wrong with having another tool in the toolbox.

I can think of one use for this thing right away--communication between teams. I've got my buddy, you have your buddy, we're glued to our buddies because we are good divers... but having a way to signal the other team could be useful in some situations.

Ok, I'm gonna try and constructively ask what problem this product solves that cannot be solved for free with proper diving skills? I am interested in a genuine hypothetical situation.

I realize that the developers must have been working hard on this and they must see a good use/market for it. So far they have been very graceful in absorbing some of the snide remarks (mine included) so why not give it a fair discussion?

As much as I am not a fan of tankbangers it seems that they can accomplish the same thing in an emergency for a few dollars. What am I missing here?

Tankbangers are non-directional ... so you don't know where to look when you hear one. And when you're diving in places like Cozumel ... where everybody seems to use them ... you have no clue who's whapping on the damn things and whether or not the person they're trying to attract is you.

Paradise reef on a night dive was noisier than a Shanghai market at mealtime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In terms of next-gen dive technology, I've got my eye, as many here do, on the Navimate GPS system announced at DEMA and supposed to ship in the next few months. Navimate - GPS for Divers - Additional Information and FAQ's

From the faq on their website:
... The local communication between the Navimate™ devices allows for features such as an “SOS” alert to the diver’s buddies, or even the sending of messages between divers ...

It's not clear that the first version will have this feature, they're just saying their comm protocol supports it. I can't see a manual yet, and the powerpoint slides don't mention it. But there's a "Menu" button, I'd guess that at worst the buddy-attention feature can be added in firmware v1.1, as soon as they realize it's wanted, if they haven't already.

Now it's not mask mounted (at least in its initial form) but it presumably can flash and beep. If I'm going to spend a bunch of money (they're talking $700 each) on a new scuba toy, this is what I'd want first, and if it also has a buddy-attention feature, I can't see also getting one of these buddy-links in addition.

Sound devices don't work very well when you're wearing a hood. I've tried to get Peter's attention with tank banging (a spare double ender plays many roles in a dive) without success.

In clear, strongly lit water, you don't have to be very far apart to have problems communicating. Even 7 to 10 feet is enough, if you aren't facing one another, and aren't checking constantly. I'm not a photographer, so it doesn't ruin my dive to look away from what I'm seeing at very frequent intervals to check on my buddies. But for serious picture-taking folks, it can be a minute or more that they're task-focused, and that may be time enough for whatever cool thing I found to show them to head off into the sunset.

I'm not trying to say that a gadget like this should take the place of good buddy skills. I'm just saying that it may have a role in certain diving conditions, and I for one am not willing to reject it out of hand.

Daaamn that's like $3000 worth of flashy lights....

nice... I can think of a couple unique individuals I would like to have used YOUR signal device with... :nuke:

Seriously though, how does the ranging function work if you have multiple recipients on a channel?? whose distance is reported to whom?? can you tell who initiated the signal or is it just like a "tik tik tik guess who?!?"

Signaling or silent pinging within a group will flash distance to the nearest buddy.

Everyone agrees that good buddy skills are the best solution to the problem, but any tool can be used for good or ill. There's nothing wrong with having another tool in the toolbox.

I can think of one use for this thing right away--communication between teams. I've got my buddy, you have your buddy, we're glued to our buddies because we are good divers... but having a way to signal the other team could be useful in some situations.

One example use we give is within dive training of new divers.

Instructors can be on one channel, or group, and the students can be on another channel or group. Should the lead instructor need to get the students attention, he or she could use the public access code. Should the lead instructor just need to contact the other dive instructors, they could be contacted with either one or two button taps,signal only within the instructor group and not bother the students.

The instructor group could be subdivided as well at this point. One button tap could stand for one instructor group and two taps could stand for another instructor group.

...or even the sending of messages between divers ...

OH GOD

next they are going to find a way to get text messaging on to it... anyone imagine the carnage to the reefs when that happens?? they just specifically outlawed texting and cell phone use in cars here but can you imagine the kids of the future twittering away at 60'??

How is this for an idea: Skip the puny LED and wire the output to a high voltage circuit like you would find on a dog training collar. Then if you buddy strays too far you can each out to touch him in a very special way. Hey: if you are going with technology, might as well go big!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom