visual "disturbances" after much diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it's heresy to question the word of DAN around here, but I'd also give a little weight to the cautions of the doctors here.

Hi opalobsidian,

What Vlad The Impailer said.

You're reporting post-diving visual disturbances, a rash-like event that sounds much like cutaneous DCS and tingling of the extremities. The vast majority of responsible divers who do multiple recreational dives over multiple days do not develop even one these, not to mention the whole constellation.

You have been advised by a diving neurosurgeon, and other physicians, to get this matter professionally sorted out.

Many experienced divers have contributed to this thread and expressed concern about your welfare.

Think about it.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi opalobsidian,

Given that the reported signs and symptoms appear to be exclusively related to SCUBA and to pass quickly, the likelihood that your medical coverage would be willing to cover their part of such a diagnostic remains to be seen.

However, should it be demonstrated that you do have a PFO or similar R->L shunting of blood, and at this point that is far from certain, and if your signs and symptoms are exclusively dive-related and you are entirely asymptomatic topside and without any limitations, exertional or otherwise, it is extremely unlikely your insurance carrier would pay anything towards closure/correction.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Doc & Shakey!

Can't imagine Humana doing anything for me except raising the price on my policy. I am not going diving until after I get things checked out and will wait til I'm in Asia to get the good docs off the insurance grid. As far as Humana is concerned I'm cheaper to them dead.

Thanks for your concern

I sincerely hope this has a happy ending for you. I could not imagine going through what you are but I know it would be terrible to have to give up diving. Good luck and I hope you are able to safely get back into diving.

Hi Doc & Shakey!

Can't imagine Humana doing anything for me except raising the price on my policy. I am not going diving until after I get things checked out and will wait til I'm in Asia to get the good docs off the insurance grid. As far as Humana is concerned I'm cheaper to them dead.

Thanks for your concern

Hello opalobsidian:

Since this appears to be a dive related problem, an insurance carrier would not pay for this, since they would regard it as an “elective procedure” for your hobby.

Bubble Generation

As mentioned above, multiday divers do not develop your constellation of problems. When I tested the PADI Recreational Dive Planner, the major thrust was laboratory testing of multiday diving. I never saw any of you signs and symptoms in the twenty test subjects. These dives were four per day, six uninterrupted days and to the table limits.

I would suspect that you are an individual who easily produces microbubbles [gas “seeds”].

PFO

A PFO is only one manner of right-to-left shunting. This can also occur though the vasculature of the lungs ["pulmonary shunts"]. These latter shunts are not surgically correctable.

Correction

If you have a PFO, the recommendation might be to not surgically correct it. There is some risk associated with correction. Your events surround recreational diving and not professional diving. It is really a hobby.:depressed:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hey everyone GREAT NEWS!

I called DAN and the medic said my symptoms were not that unusual for someone doing continuous days of multiple diving!!!!! And that the visual disturbances, the skin bends and the tingling in the extemities were symptoms often seen together in someone diving alot.

His recommendation? That I follow thru with a little neurological examination by a GP much like a drunk driving test to see if I am still a little zonked, and to change to nitrox but dive a regular gas profile.

WOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

I am not happy at all with what the DAN medic told you, or possibly how you interpreted it. I greatly respect DAN and what they do for their members and divers in general. I am currently enrolled in their PFO study. However, I also had a few conversations with DAN about my visual symptoms and skin bends and felt at the time, the medic discounted them as less than serious. My symptoms became more serious over time and I adjusted my diving to richer mixes. I'm a working divemaster, so managing depth was difficult because the reefs where I live are in the 70-90 foot range. I also had several episodes of the chokes which I have been told is a little rare and typically indicates a lot of bubbles in circulation. Visual = brain and one day a bubble by reach a really scary place for you. I learned the hard way and could have died as a result of just monitoring myself and living with it. You should at least get tested for pfo to rule it out, immediately. The TTE with contrast was enough to diagnose me. I thank Docvikingo for directing us PFO girls to Doug Ebersole. By the way, my insurance covered the procedure. I have United Healthcare and there were no issues. I was repaired 9 days after my diagnosis. Every diver is different. My dives are strenuous and I unload customer tanks at the end of the day. So DAN's advice to one diver may be fine but not with another diver. I have over 200 dives since my procedure just over a year ago. A large number of the dives have been over 100 feet and decompression dives. I haven't had a single symptom.

i suffered from the bends 3 months ago, bubbles that went into my blood but then were lodged into my brain. the symptoms like the swirling sounds like vertigo which sounds just like what i was having when in the ambulance on the way to the decompression chamber.. it could be nothing, but i would consult a dive doctor just incase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom