Visual inspection for new tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually VIP normally stands for Visual Inspection Program not Visual Inspection Plus. Visual+ being the trademarked name for the ATI eddy current test, the plus is usually reserved for inspections which includes eddy current testing for neck cracks. However many people mix the two names, and refer to any inspection which includes eddy current testing as a "VIP+".

owen:
(VIP stands for
Visual Inspection Plus, and, is one particular training agency for people who
conduct visual inspections).

wedivebc:
Vis doesn't really inspect for contaminants do they? Usually they are looking for corrosion and cracks.
I need to take my tanks because my rebreather uses al 13s. Probably hard to rent
look for contaminants-found spiders and bugs in tanks that had no air in them..one tech found dead lizard in one once..look for oil and water..found that too from somewone who dove commercially and had their tanks filled with their own compressor..

I bought a new AL80 and when I removed the plastic cap and did a viz, I found a dead mouse laying in it! I now viz all tanks, even if they are brand new from the manufacturer.

ppo2_diver:
I bought a new AL80 and when I removed the plastic cap and did a viz, I found a dead mouse laying in it! I now viz all tanks, even if they are brand new from the manufacturer.
OK, granted contaminants can get into a tank. To keep this germane to the thread let's assume I get to Mexico, have the scuba shop quickly look inside my al13s for lizards, dead dogs, etc that might have crawled in during the flight, check my current visual inspection sticker. Do you really expect they need to do a complete inspection, which when done properly according to my PSI training should take at least 1/2 hr. I would then be charged $15 each for 2 perfectly good tanks (assuming nothing died in there).

I have been in the Fire Service for 26+ years, and the fire service is not required to due annual inspections. Luxfer makes almost all the tanks for the fire service. So my question is what's the difference between a scuba tank or a fire service tank. In either under water or a smoke filled room if you don't have good air you will be in a bad way! Just my 2 cents

hazmat1800:
I have been in the Fire Service for 26+ years, and the fire service is not required to due annual inspections. Luxfer makes almost all the tanks for the fire service. So my question is what's the difference between a scuba tank or a fire service tank. In either under water or a smoke filled room if you don't have good air you will be in a bad way! Just my 2 cents
The scuba industry is not REQUIRED to do inspections either. There are many so called regulations that are generated internally by the scuba industry. The annual inspection is one such "rule" that has been taken to the extreme by the uninformed. The only real need for an annual inspection comes when you need to get your tank filled by a compliant shop. Another scuba industry "rule" is the so-called 40% rule for nitrox. Nowhere in the compressed gas industry does that rule exist but we make up out own rules to suit our needs.
Having said that I think the habit of checking tanks annually is a good one. As a fire instructor I have often looked at the abuse SCBA tanks take, (heat, banging, slamming valves open and closed) and wondered why the fire service does not adopt the same policy. I guess the instances of tank explosions are rare enough not to cause concern.
One other consideration concerning air quality in scuba is that at depth the partial pressure of a gas is much higher so you will be breathing more particles of dead mouse with every breath:wink:

1, Fire service cylinders are (almost) never exposed to salt water.

2, Both scba and scuba tanks can and do explode. SCBAs should be at least annually visualed, for 2 amongst many other reasons - a) They are often filled really fast and B) they are readily susceptible to exterior damage. Just because its not done doesn't mean it shouldn't be.

While tank failures seem far from everyone's mind, there was day when boiler and other pressure vessel explosions were common place. Formal visuals are one piece of the rules reducing the risks of explosion (not to mention the dead rodent thing).

I've never seen a VIP sticker in MEX except on pony tanks from the US. I don't think you will have any problem. But, just to be safe, check with the operator in MEX.

Most of the US rules are adopted through reference to CGA publications. The 40% one, is an exception. CGA calls anything over 23% oxygen enriched, the more liberal 40% comes from the US Navy and NOAA. I have no idea how TC comes up with their regs.

I agree that some of these things get "taken to the extreme by the uninformed."

If you keep the goals of no explosions and no rodents in mind, most absurdities can be recognized for what they are. And maybe some of those beat-up scba cylinders would get some commonsense attention.

rjack321:
Most of the US rules are adopted through reference to CGA publications. The 40% one, is an exception. CGA calls anything over 23% oxygen enriched, the more liberal 40% comes from the US Navy and NOAA. I have no idea how TC comes up with their regs.

I agree that some of these things get "taken to the extreme by the uninformed."

If you keep the goals of no explosions and no rodents in mind, most absurdities can be recognized for what they are. And maybe some of those beat-up scba cylinders would get some commonsense attention.
Well said!
We just upgraded all our scba tanks to 4500psi glass wrapped units. I'm not even sure how you would inspect those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom