Viz report - Thailand....post Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's good to hear & see things are improving very well in Phuket. Must be a huge relief to all there.

What about Khao Lak and the Koh Phi Phi areas? What's the status of dive operations from there currently? From what is seen in the UK, it looks like a real heart-breaking situation there.

Having dealt with the media and seen the way they depict situations which I have been deeply involved in, I am not surprised at the way this tsunami is being depicted. I am glad for the Internet and our members from the affected region who can give us on-the-scene accounts of the efforts to recover and return normalcy.

Of course a disaster with so many human beings killed (not to mention other species) is a terrible thing. However equal coverage of the efforts at recovery would return optimism about the human spirit. It's a shame most of the media prefer to focus on the "other" side of the coin.

Dr. Bill

A Thai minister who is responsible for the natural resources and environment of Thailand has officially announced on the news on TV that:

Similan, Surin Islands, and Tarutao is officially closed. (I don't know if this close includes scuba diving or not). They have collected all the relative information undersea which will be sent into a meeting. By then, they will be able to release the how much damaged is being done down there. They are expecting to open the marine national park in a week or two. But they are sure that the condition will definitely not be 100% of what it used to be.

This is what I heard on the news. In any case, I will post up more upon more information has been gained.

wunat:
A Thai minister who is responsible for the natural resources and environment of Thailand has officially announced on the news on TV that:

Similan, Surin Islands, and Tarutao is officially closed. (I don't know if this close includes scuba diving or not). They have collected all the relative information undersea which will be sent into a meeting. By then, they will be able to release the how much damaged is being done down there. They are expecting to open the marine national park in a week or two. But they are sure that the condition will definitely not be 100% of what it used to be.

This is what I heard on the news. In any case, I will post up more upon more information has been gained.

The re-emphasize again, as Sunrise & I wrote earlier, liveaboard boats are running to the similans & Surin. <b>The parks are not closed for diving!</b>

I think the parks are closed but there is nobody there to reinforce it. As I understand, the accomodations for park officers on the islands are all gone.
I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about all the liveaboards that are going to the Similans despite the official closing of the islands are actually a good thing. Since noone is patrolling the islands at this time, as far as I know, it would not be long before some fishing boats will go in for a quick dynamite fishing or using illegal nets to catch all the fish now so at least the presence of diveboats should at least discourage anyone from doing such things.

thien:
The re-emphasize again, as Sunrise & I wrote earlier, liveaboard boats are running to the similans & Surin. <b>The parks are not closed for diving!</b>

Are the divers to pay the marine park fee? If not, than the case would be the fact that no officials are on there to enforce the closure of the national marine park. If so, then the park is officially open.

I've actually planned to go to the Similans 26th of this month on my first LOB trip... sigh... still wondering if I shoudl proceed. It's heartening to read from the board that things are picking up and that there are boats going out to the islands... but I've got a couple of frens there in Patong now and there advise is 'dun come' unless u plan to dive to recover bodies... wonder if they are being melodramatic.

Would love to find out more from divers what the true situation is... maybe I shld just wait out and see what happens next couple of days...

The Bangkok Post claims that..."about 70% of the reef at Similan island is damaged, the toll at Surin islands is said to be minimal."
If it is so, it's quite sad news both on the environmental aspect and to the local diving industry as well.
I hope that the "post tsunami" liveaboards, which are heading to the Similans these days, will proove it wrong.

Quote from http://www.bangkokpost.co.th/News/01Jan2005_news03.php

On local TV last night, they reported overall that only about 5% of the reefs are damaged but did not specify if one place is more affected than other.
Words from Aqua One who took out some government officers to survey the damage in the Similans a few days ago was very promising and it did not seem that bad.

Hi ssra30,

I guess we'll not know for sure what's the status of Similans' reefs till an "eye witness" from SB will return and inform us all.
Meanwhile I'm trying to get any piece of info that I can find on the net.
I found an article on www.timesonline.co.uk, saying that "Christmas Point and Deep Six are very badly damaged".

I hope the damage is less than expected to be after a tsunami as strong as it was.
The full article is on:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,18690-1421195,00.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom