Volunteer diver @ Mystic Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warpig:
looks like i better get on the CPR certification :)
Yea, I can't find my CPR card anywhere but I have a valid NREMT/RI Basic license so I hope that is good enough (if it's not then I'd really like to know why).

it's funny...i was certified in high school and then in the military and dont have anything to show for it lol.

im sure the redcross could use my money though and it wouldnt hurt to take the course again. :cool:

Hey Matt,
there is a guy I know named Bob who does that. He said while it is fun the training process is a pain in the back side. You have to spend a few months doing other volunteer work at the aquarium to be eligible to do the tank diving and then you have a few other hoops to jump through....He says if someone is serious about doing it then go for it, but if people are just looking for an opportunity to jump in with the fishies then this isn't the sort of thing for them.....

If you want I can get his number and put you in contact with him.

John

RIDIVER501:
Hey Matt,
there is a guy I know named Bob who does that. He said while it is fun the training process is a pain in the back side. You have to spend a few months doing other volunteer work at the aquarium to be eligible to do the tank diving and then you have a few other hoops to jump through....He says if someone is serious about doing it then go for it, but if people are just looking for an opportunity to jump in with the fishies then this isn't the sort of thing for them.....

I kinda figured that it would be something like that, as most of the other aquariums is read on do the same thing, and have long waiting lists for divers, etc. But this caught my eye, as I was looking to do some volunteer work sometime in the nearish future, and doing work at Mystic would be kinda cool.

RIDIVER501:
Hey Matt,

If you want I can get his number and put you in contact with him.

John
I don't really mind going through the initiation process. I got used to that volunteering at the fire dept :)

I would like helping out the aquarium as I have been a visitor there for years. If I can do it through SCUBA then I am definitely interested.

If it's convenient, PM me his number or email address (preferably). Thanks and hope to see you tonight at Bass Rock.

-- Matt

Hi,

The New England Aquarium has a volunteer position called DVIT (Dive Volunteer in Training). The duties are described on their website but basically you prepare all the food for the 700 animals in the Giant Ocean Tank, help feed from the platforms on the surface, clean, and do varyious unique tasks. Some of these tasks are pretty interesting like "baisting" the porkupine fish with ocean water ,using a average turkey baster, while they do an annual exam. Another interesting one was helping them build fish cages.

So, this is about the NEAq's volunteer diver program but I imagine the Mystic Aquarium will differ in their requirements and duties.

This job was pointed out to me by my buddy who presently volunteered there. He did mention you will need a dive physical by a dive doctor at your expense. I think with the rutured didk in my neck that I would be disqualified so I didn't bother. I whish all you young guys out there who are injury free the best of luck. I understand that this is a fun and rewarding job.

Chris

Around 1999 I was a Marine Mammal Volunteer at the New England Aquarium. I would run the sound booth during the Sea Lion shows and help get the food ready to feed the seals, sea lions, & otters. I would also get to dive in the holding pens behinds the scenes and dive in the seal and otter tanks in public view. It was fun. There's nothing quite like diving in a large tiolet bowl. I never got a chance to dive in the GOT though! Too bad.

PK:
Hi,

I am a dive volunteer at the New England Aquarium. It's really fun and I've been pretty dedicated for about 2 years. They sometimes looking for more volunteers so if anyone is interested, check out their volunteer descriptions at their website: www.neaq.org

One note: you have to volunteer for the dive department for about 6 months before you can become a dive volunteer. There are other prerequisites that have to do with dive experience. Check it out. I find that the wait isn't so bad. Also, the other duties are still pretty interesting.

The idea is that you are donating your time to a good cause.

You must volunteer a bit with Genevieve Stewart

v_1matst:
Yea, I can't find my CPR card anywhere but I have a valid NREMT/RI Basic license so I hope that is good enough (if it's not then I'd really like to know why).

Well, frankly as you should remember from your EMT class that a separate CPR card is required for EMT certification. Being an EMT does not provide for a current and valid CPR card. Remember the 24 hours of con-ed a basic refresher and CPR card?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom