Volunteer Diving at The National Aquarium in Baltimore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terri,
Have you recovered from your encounter with Oscar?? I was your tour guide the day you visited.

Hello Poe,
Are you Mike? It was Kate, my co-worker that Oscar took a liking to. He wrapped all
around her. All I could do was laugh and I looked through the glass and Chuck was
asking if she was OK, the kids were laughing. My mask flooded from laughing.
What a great day, we had so much fun! Thank you again for everything!

Hello Poe,
Are you Mike? It was Kate, my co-worker that Oscar took a liking to. He wrapped all
around her. All I could do was laugh and I looked through the glass and Chuck was
asking if she was OK, the kids were laughing. My mask flooded from laughing.
What a great day, we had so much fun! Thank you again for everything!

Yea Terri thats me.

So besides cdreamer did anyone else show up for the Test at the National Aquarium?

Well, I took the volunteer's test on Monday and learned today that I passed it (barely, I think). I was expecting it to be difficult, but it was even harder than I expected.

I'd guess there were 35-40 folks there to take it. I have no idea how many passed it.

Now, the next step is the in-water test on Jan. 25.

The pool test is, they say, in 70 degree water. I'm thinking I'll wear my wetsuit, since that's how I'm used to diving (3mm). I don't know how much weight to use in a fresh-water pool. I guess it should be the same as I used when I dove in a cenote a couple months ago (i.e., only 8#, instead of the 16# I use in salt water).

I'm guessing the in-pool test is fairly basic stuff: buoyancy, mask removal and clearing, etc. Anyone have more insight into the in-water test?

In any case, I'm happily surprised I passed the test. Hopefully, I ultimately get a spot with the volunteer crew. I'm flexible enough to be able to volunteer on weekdays, so that may give me an advantage.

Thanks all for your earlier encouragement.

Ron

Well, I took the volunteer's test on Monday and learned today that I passed it (barely, I think). I was expecting it to be difficult, but it was even harder than I expected.

I'd guess there were 35-40 folks there to take it. I have no idea how many passed it.

Now, the next step is the in-water test on Jan. 25.

The pool test is, they say, in 70 degree water. I'm thinking I'll wear my wetsuit, since that's how I'm used to diving (3mm). I don't know how much weight to use in a fresh-water pool. I guess it should be the same as I used when I dove in a cenote a couple months ago (i.e., only 8#, instead of the 16# I use in salt water).

I'm guessing the in-pool test is fairly basic stuff: buoyancy, mask removal and clearing, etc. Anyone have more insight into the in-water test?

In any case, I'm happily surprised I passed the test. Hopefully, I ultimately get a spot with the volunteer crew. I'm flexible enough to be able to volunteer on weekdays, so that may give me an advantage.

Thanks all for your earlier encouragement.

Ron

Ron Congratulations!!!! See you on the 25th. For the record I believe we had 37 people take the written test and we are taking 22 to the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom