Vomiting during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BartBe once bubbled...
Further to the Vomit Thread i was wondering if it happes to a lot of people...

I bet it does....ALSO I made sure to get the reg OUTTA me mouth first before blowing....
Otherwise..ick.

BartBe once bubbled...

But that seems to be exactly the wrong move... ????

You're right. It is the wrong move. The first thing you do after your lunch leaves your mouth is a quick gasp for breath.

Better to "chuck" in the reg and then after you have composed yourself do a couple of rinses and a purge or two to clear the chunky stuff out.:rolleyes:

I have had to vomit underwater one time. I think it was the nasty water that caused it. I was diving in Long Beach, CA harbor in 1981. I blew chunks through the reg and continued the dive.
I used to joke that I should have gotten a patch for that dive;
CESSPOOL DIVER
:eek:ut:

Look at the bright side, on scuba the 'stuff' goes away.
Diving in hard hat or helmet it gets REAL messy.
Fortunately I have never had to chuck on a working dive.:)

BartBe once bubbled...

To back up what Hodgson said: Keeping the reg in your mouth is important because of that post hurl gasp reflex. Really important. After you're all done you can give that reg a swish to clean it out.

I think the poll is very relevant, n/v is something every diver will have to deal with sooner or later, it's good to get an idea what to do, and how common it is, something as simple as swallowing sea water can cause an episode of nausea, the first time I experienced it I was in cold water, fatigued, and the sudden muscular exertion, along with temporarily depleting my oxygen to my tissues sent needle-like pains in my back, not pleasant zeN||

It is really gross but I usually vomit once on every boat trip I take. It is on the first dive after a few minutes being under the underwater. I think all the moving around on the boat unsettles my stomach and as soon as i get nice and comfty in the water I vomit and i feel much better. After that I am feeling great for the rest of the trip.

Ana

I've never gotten sick in my regulator - but I've been sea sick on small boats. I attribute it to the diesel fumes, however - because when I can get away from the idling engines - even if it's up on the fly-bridge (if there is one), where the motion is even more pronounced, I still feel better because I'm not breathing the fumes.

However, we have a friend who must be an authority on vomiting through the regulator. We've dived with this guy for years who suffers from incredible motion sickness, and almost ALWAYS blows breakfast/lunch through his regulator - yet he dives as much as possible, has continued his training.... he just deals with it, and dives - even if it's not always pretty!

BartBe once bubbled...

For me at least....the hurling thus far has not been the kind that you "perform", when you're really sick like with tummy poisoning etc.

It's more of the "let your breakfast out to feel more comfortable" kind :) So it's rather controlled and there's little involuntary gasping...in fact I even float off to a little corner so as not to gross other divers out...heheh. I guess for this more sedate type of explosions it's okay not to mess your reg up!

PLUS any seawater that does come into mouth provides rapid rinsing :):)

Every time I dive. I am fine on the boat. No problems at all but at depth on everydive I puke. Started with my certification dives and continues today. I actually posted a thread on this board to find out if I was normal or if I would have problems diving forever. The only dive I didn't puke on was when I was diving in the living seas at epcot. I honestly think it was only divine interference that made me not do it then... I mean, how gross would it have been for the people eating in the resturant?

Jessica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom